Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Mark Mothersbaugh's Myopia in Austin

Yesterday we made it to Jones Center (formerly Arthouse) once again; right in the heart of downtown Austin.... right in the middle of SXSW... *groans* Traffic there and back wasn't too bad, but downtown traffic was horrendous and parking cost 3X what it did last year for the same spot!!! I know they're gouging people because the standard rate sign was covered up so they could program whatever they wanted into the machine. At least we found a spot... So, what on earth was so important that I was willing to put us through this headache?



DEVO!! Sort of. More specifically an eclectic collection of Mark Mothersbaugh's work. (98% sure he's the one in the middle)



Jones Center isn't a huge building, but they do make good use of the space they have. In this case the whole second floor was creatively partitioned effectively tripling the space, and the amount of stuff they could display. It was... a bit overwhelming. When we go I like to get pictures of everything (since it is such a headache, even without the special events going on), but there was just so much!



My favorite addition was the journals. It's a very personal glimpse into his mind. They had several of them there, each under glass. No page flipping, but still interesting and impactful.



There was a section, of course, devoted to DEVO; their evolution, costuming, influences, etc. Including this character:



I think I watch too many horror movies, because that whole visual is just a bit too disturbing for me...



At the beginning of the upstairs displays were several sculptures. I couldn't find the plaque for the My Little Pony butts...



There were also several groupings of these Roli Polis. Aaron thought they were creepy, I kinda like 'em.



These... they're music makers crafted from broken and/or discarded parts of other music makers. I don't know if they're on a timer or there's some kind of button, but they were loud...



A+ for ingenuity, but I'm glad I'm not part of the staff while this is going on.



Around a corner and past the Roli Polis you run into this... yes, it startled me. A whole section of art created using mirror images. Very fascinating once you get over the initial shock.



Beyond that... this. 30,000 hand-drawn postcards documenting various points in his life. Abstractly, I assume, given some of the images. Again, no page-turning, but even this small selection offered so much variety.



On our way out I spotted this "self portrait" which, upon reading the description, became my favorite single piece from the whole exhibit. It really touched me...

Overall I'm very happy that we got to see this while it's up. Even after gathering information from the 'net it still ended up being way bigger than I expected. If you'd like to see more I uploaded all of the pictures I took to my facebook album. I made it public so you shouldn't even need an account to see it.

Up next I have some Julep "chrome" followed by a pretty good essence nail art. Y'all take care out there. (^_^)"/"

2 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of Mark Mothersbaugh or DEVO so I guess I have some googling to do...
    (just saw a picture of Mark Mothersbaugh and I think you can safely add those last 2% to the change that the middle guy is him ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! hehehe If you haven't yet, check out DEVO "Whip It" on youtube. I think that was their biggest hit.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!