Tuesday, September 22, 2015

OKC & Beardlam 3

Hello, everybody! I know; I'm awful. lol It has been such a long week, but I'm finally here to recap our "weekend" trip up to Oklahoma City for posterity and those of you not following along on facebook or Instagram. ^_^

We left moderately early Thursday morning (11am lol) for the six hour trip North. Thanks to I-35 it's a straight shot; no thinking involved.



We did stop twice on the way up. Once for food (#LiveMas) and once for gas. For any Rocky Horror Picture Show fans out there, we drive right through Denton which is where Shock Treatment was supposed to be filmed. (wasn't because of the actor strike at the time, so that's a shame)



Huge shout-out to Wonka Mike and his lovely wife (whose name escapes me because I suck) for opening their home to us. Without their kindness and generosity the trip would have been far more unpleasant what with trying to sleep in the car in a Walmart parking lot or something. Here's a quick selfie of Aaron and Bruiser who may or may not have remembered us from last time.



hehehehe Adorable. ^_^ Mike had a doctor appointment Friday morning so rather than sit around making sure his house didn't float away we decided to explore a bit. This can be a little tricky because the stupid gps in my phone just keeps on trying to put us on the Turnpike, but we managed to find the mall!



According to Cristy it was a much cooler mall before when it had a Disney store and Sanrio store, but... it does have the coolest food court I've ever seen.



And an H&M!! Oh if I had all the monies... *sigh* I also found (and resisted) the nearby Ulta. Of course I did! But, yes, I resisted...



We made a quick trip to S&B Body Arts so we could see the shop (finally, last trip it was Sunday and they were closed) and I picked up this cute bow made by Stepher Madness (remember the chick that hoola hooped on glass? her):



Then, finally, we made our way to Bricktown Brewery for the main event! I got to be have a star.



I also got to meet this star!



Cristy and her husband are absolutely amazing. Friendly and hilarious and definitely not psycho stalkers as far as I could tell. LOL Seriously, I can't wait to hang out with them again.

Then! The main event of the main event. The Third Annual Beardlam Beard & Mustache Competition. Here's Aaron's look up close:



Scary! I was so nervous for him when he went up on stage to show off his hairs.



I don't know about the previous two competitions, but this year they had a celebrity judge! Mr Robert LaSardo, who is actually a decent human being; and not just because he gave Aaron a totally unsolicited compliment. lol You know when celebrities do events there's this understood level of niceness with us "little folk" that they have to have, but he went way beyond that actually talking to people and not being a dick even after everything was wrapping up. He was totally into the competition, taking everyone seriously and really getting into it. Proud moment for me: there were only a small handful of people that Robert LaSardo stood up to get a closer look at and... Aaron was one of them!



Sadly, he didn't win. According to a source close to the judges it was really close. If there had been a 3rd place trophy he would have gotten it. He is wanting to compete next year. lol If you'd like to take a peek at some of the truly amazing beards and mustaches that were on display check out the facebook album here.

Of course he always gives me crap about not "looking like a tourist" when we travel, but what's the point of travelling if you don't take in (and take pictures of) your surroundings?!



Also, apparently this is a thing:



We had to leave pretty early Saturday morning, but we did have time for a quick side trip to meet up with our e-friend "Panda" in Dallas. Being mostly on the way and all.



We had Starbucks. lol Not pumpkin spice...



Then, back home for all of the madness that was awaiting us here.

Last, but not least, I needed a mani that was going to hold up to a week's worth of travel and fun!



After much debate I finally decided to layer Zoya Cosmo over OPI Push And Shove. That chrome base really helped disguise the patchiness of Cosmo and it did hold up! That pic was taken yesterday so that's a full five days worth of wear. Fabulous!



*phew* Looks like that's it. Finally got my contacts from Lens Village so I will be doing a post on those coming up. Also the razors since I still haven't starting bzzzing on those yet. *oops* I will try to catch up on everyone else's blogs and stuff. *hugs* Love you guys! (^_^)"/"

8 comments:

  1. I am so happy that it worked out that I finally got to meet you!!! We had a blast hanging out with you guys on Friday night. I definitely can't wait to do it again. When you said you were at that mall, I forgot to tell you about the awesome food court. We go to that mall a lot and it is always hard to get one of the cars (you have to be a car stalker). I am so glad you guys had an awesome time. I can't wait to see you again. Also, your nails look just as fabulous in person and thank you for not judging mine...ha! (as you found out, I am definitely a hugger).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *TACKLEHUGS* Totally made the night way more awesome getting to hang out with you guys! ^_^ Aw! hehehe Next time we come up I'll bring some supplies and give you a nice manicure. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. Bummer Aaron didn't win but I'm glad you guys had fun! Road trips rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and Aaron definitely looks scary with the horns and all (glances at husband and decides he should definitely not wear hairs like that... doesn't go with his cuddly teddy bear look ;)
    And pretty smart to use silver undies under Cosmo... have to remember that next time I wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. ^_^ Yes, the silver undies definitely help Cosmo a LOT! It's even prettier in person that it looks in the pictures.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!