Saturday, May 23, 2015

Splat Fade Defense System First Review

Today I'm going to review the Splat Fade Defense hair care system that I picked up from Walgreens (I've also seen it at Walmart) for $9.99USD. For your $10 (plus tax) investment you get 6oz of "cleanser", 6oz of "moisturizer" and 1oz of "lock-in":



I wish I had kept the box, I thought all of the ingredients were listed on the bottles, but from what I recall these products are all-natural and do not contain color-stripping chemicals (sulfates and such) like regular (even "for color-treated hair") hair products. So, first off, they smell really good. "But how well do they work?!" I'm getting there, keep your britches on. lol



The "cleanser" (shampoo) is really really thick. I have to wet it in my hands and then wet it again once it's on my head to work it into a lather. That slight nuisance aside when I do "cleanse" my hair I don't notice any rivulets of color dripping off of my head. *thumbs up* When using regular shampoos there is almost always some color-tint to the rinse water and every little bit that comes out is that much more fading.



The "moisturizer" (conditioner) is rich and creamy, and not thick like the cleanser. It applies and rinses just like you would expect, except without taking color with it. *thumbs up*



The final step is the "lock-in", which they recommend using after every washing. What this does is smooth out the hair cuticles to lock in (get it?) the color; it also includes vitamins and plant extracts that protect the hair from outside faders like the sun. The only downside is that it is a color-lock product and not really a leave-in conditioner type product so it keeps making me want to reach for the Pantene BB Creme.

So how well does this system work? Well, full disclosure, I'm still only wet-washing my hair once a week or so and using a dry shampoo otherwise to combat oil and grime. So I have used the Fade Defense system four times since going green. Under normal circumstances this is the time I would be analyzing my hair and deciding if it's too faded and ready for a touch-up or if I'll be okay for another couple of weeks. So, here's my hair after the third washing:



It does look a little two-toned because I put the green on over the blue. I'm not terribly concerned about that because where it is fading a little after the fourth wash is turning yellow-green instead of the blue that it was before:



Okay, so...

Pros: Natural ingredients and furry friendly, smells great, doesn't noticeably strip the color

Cons: Small bottle size, cleanser is weirdly thick and the lock-in doesn't leave my hair as soft



The fact that all three come together in a box is sort of a pro and a con. You don't have to worry about the one product you need being out of stock, but if you run out of one before the others then you can't just replace that one.

So right now I'm giving it a tentative one and a half *thumbs up*. I have about half a bottle of each left so I'm going to go through June without touching up the color and see what happens. Greens, blues and purples are notorious for fading out quickly so we will see. Coming up next will be my metallic whites comparison. Hope everyone has a safe (Memorial Day in the States) weekend. (^_^)"/"

21 comments:

  1. May have to try this. I hate watching my red all wash down the drain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so depressing! And expensive. lol If you try it let me know what you think! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Can't say anything about this as I've never colored my hair yet (but I'm not a cave women, honest :)
    But your green hair looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Never?! That's actually kind of impressive. ^_^ hehehe Thanks. It did take a little getting used to, but I'm liking the green. ;)

      Delete
  3. I aim to have purple hair one day. Possibly the day after I finally cut it short again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so amazing!! *fingers crossed* hehehe I would love to see that.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your review! I have been using Splat Lusty Lavender (with different pinks for streaks) for years and love it but hate to see it fade so darn quick. I will give this a try and hopefully preserve my rich color for a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! ^_^ That sounds really pretty. I hope it works for you.

      Delete
  5. If I were to dye my hair black, how long do you think it would stay in by using this product? I hear black fades more slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience black hair dye is practically indestructable. lol I haven't tried the Splat black yet, but it's a different formula than the other colors so I figure you could get a good 3-4 months no problem. My husband used to dye his hair black and it would grow a good 6" before any of the black started to fade.

      Delete
  6. I have purple hair and i used splat, my hair looks amazing, I love it. The purple looks great. I have the splat fade defense kit and i use it and still watch the purple run down the drain, :-( its been two weeks and i already have to recolor it. Is it better to put color in hair clean or dirty? Should the fade defense product be used on hair before putting color in as well as after putting the color in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So, what I do is the day before I dye I will shampoo my hair, but DO NOT condition it. This will help the color soak in better. When you do dye it make sure you leave yourself as much time as possible. The longer you can keep it in, the better. All day if possible. When you rinse (and later when washing) use cool/cold water. As cold as you can stand it. Lastly, grab some dry shampoo so you only have to wet wash, at most, every other day. The Splat Fade Defense does help postpone fading, but these are all things you can do to help even more. Washing your hair with hot water every day is the worst way to keep color, no matter which products you use, because they're semi-permanent and meant to wash out. It sucks, but that's how it is. :(

      Delete
  7. Did My Comment Ever Post?
    If Not, I Was Asking If I Could Trust The Fade Defense? I Just Dyed My Hair 2 Days Ago And Need To Wash It Not a Tomorrow But The Next Day. I'm Terrified Of My Colour Fading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I Was Wondering If You Had Any Tips? And Does Any Of The Splat Fade Defense Product Make Your Hair Greasy? I Have My Hair Gets Greasy Easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It doesn't look like your comment posted here, but I did get it in my inbox. The thing to keep in mind is that Splat (or Manic Panic) is not a permanent hair color. No matter which products you use, the more you wash your hair the quicker the color is going to fade. That said, I wash my hair on a fairly regular schedule and in my experience the Fade Defense absolutely did help the color to last longer than using regular shampoo for color treated hair. Wash your hair in warm water instead of hot and that will also help.

      In my experience the Fade Defense did not leave my hair greasy at all. If you have concerns I would invest in a dry shampoo to use between washing. Lots of companies are making them now and I get the Not Your Mother's dry shampoo for around $2-3. It keeps oils from accumulating and makes it so you don't have to get your hair wet as often.

      Delete
    2. Thank You So Much! You Have Been Such A Doll! Thank You Thank You! I Will Besure To Wash My Hair In Cold Water And Use Dry Shampoo! Thank You Again For Your Help! cx

      Delete
  9. Ive had it rough..Its is what my hair did, 6 years ago I got the berrie pink Splat. The color ended up a little dark at first. Almost like a red. Over time it faded to bright pink. I had a wedding to go to and felt like I needed a change so I dyed it black. Years later my roots are out so I bleach it and bleach it again. Haha but no, thats not good for the hair but Ive been doing it sence I was 13. Anyway,
    I got it to be a nice blonde but once again my roots grew out. So two months ago my friend comes in with blue, green, purple and I think some red, in her hair and I fell in love! I have never done multi coloured hair befor. She said she would do it for me so I went out and got Splat. Two kinds. Shocking blue and a purple. It faded in 2 weeks and it got everywhere. I mean like every day it was getting all over everything. My clothes, My pillow cases, My jacket :( and all over my hands. I mean, it was bad. My sshower looked as if I murdered a bunch of smurfs. :( Its been 2 months and its still there.
    The purple came out right away and the blue turned purple. Within two weeks. I was horrible. So I went to the hair dresser. She said she had to strip the hair first to give me want I want. She went to strip the hair and it turned pink!! No matter what she did, she couldnt get that berrie pink out of my hair. I told her to just dye over top. She did. Within a week and a half. It was weird. There was a bunch of blonde shinning through. I got mad. I felt bad. I did some research and found out that head and shoulders strips the hair. NOOOOOO111 :( omg! I used that!!
    Plus, my hair wasnt what I wanted anyway. It cost $156. I wasnt going back to fix it so this is what I did,
    I went out and got a bottle of splat and bleached it. I toke my time. It toke about 40 minutes to put in the bleach and I left it in for an hour. I also ripped it in tinfoil, waited 10 minutes and put a bag over the tinfoil. After an hour I toke it out and used a blow dryer. Made sure to let it dry and waited 2 hour. Theres that pink again!!! omg but this time I almost didnt want to put the color in. It was so nice but I did anyway.
    With the color...It was alittle harder. I have really long hair. Oh, befor I did this I put my purple hair in foil so I wouldnt dye it. Anyways, I parted my hair and I toke the splat out of the bottle and I also used a paint brush. I started with the back because thats where the purple was. I went around the whole head with the paint brush and then down the middle. After the roots were done I brushed it in. After I parted my hair in for parts. I did the front parts and then the back. When it was done I brushed in evenly and put it in tinfoil. and again with the plastic bag.
    When the color came out I will shocked. THe aqua rush worked so well that Im pretty shocked. I thought it was going to be a disaster.

    I dont want to loose my color. I can add splat aqua rush to shampoo and my conditioner if I dont want my hair to fade? :)
    PS Sorry for the book. Thought I would share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! *falls over* We certainly put our hair through a lot, don't we? lol Yeah, I never go see a hairdresser for my hair. Most of them don't know what to do with the wild colors. I've read on manicpanic.com that some people do add a bit of the dye to their shampoo and conditioner to help their color last longer. I tried that the first time I went blue, and I'm not sure if it really helped or not. My biggest recommendation is to just not wash it as often. Pick up a dry shampoo and use that 3-4 times a week instead.

      Delete
  10. Personally have read alot of bad reviews about this product and how well it actually works. I'm very hesitant to spend the money to try it. I have been using splat for years and years it's a great product but it does fade rather quick depending, especially when switching colors. I have found the more you dye it the longer it stays though. But just saying you may want to add in that ppl have had more fading from using it. And on a side note color safe shampoo will help you just have to make sure it doesn't have any harsh chemicals in it that you probably shouldn't be putting in your hair in the first place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just putting out my personal experience. Everyone's hair is different, so is how they take care of it.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!