Friday, April 24, 2015

Essie: Belugaria

Despite my excitement over finally getting to try this... let's say "controversial" polish, I've been apprehensive about posting up my thoughts. Why? Probably my grandma's spirit getting into my head. She always said I would argue just to argue which, hearing that from one's grandmother of all people, can make a person question their own intentions. Do I really like Belugaria? Or do I only like it because everybody else hates it? After three days of wear I believe I can say with full confidence: yes, I honestly like Belugaria. Now I will tell you why.

I will admit that one of the reasons is because Belugaria is different. I will always advocate for nail polish innovation. Not everybody is going to like everything, but that's no reason to not try. That aside, Belugaria has a rough.... "beauty to be revealed" quality to it. Like geodes.



Or, in this case, like precious gems bubbling up from a tar pit. Which, I'm afraid, is a strike against it right off the bat for some people. Belugaria is like the sparkly love-child of China Glaze's Bump In The Night and There's Snow One Like You. Here's the thing, though: between the black texture and multi-colored glitters essie managed to capture that "oil slick" quality in such a perfect way that is missing from "basic" polishes that claim the same. Hell, Aaron pointed it out while I was going through editing my pictures!



While Belugaria was a tad tricky to apply with its thick formula and buttload of texture particles, once the polish settles it's not that much rougher than any other texture. The first day it was a bit rough, but if you're used to texture then it's no big deal. If you're a newbie to texture and unsure if you'll like it (or can't stand the feeling of it from experience) then maybe this isn't the polish for you. Truth be told: it's not that bad.



Not only that, you are always free to topcoat and still maintain that awesome "oil covered glitter" effect without the texture.



I mean... duh, right?

Bottom line, there is something decidedly grunge in Belugaria that calls to me and my love of the 90s. I think it would have been quite popular back then. With my crowd, anyway. I mean... look at the sparkle!



If you ever find yourself faced with a "priced too low to pass up" bottle of Belugaria: don't try it because I like it, but don't pass on it because someone else doesn't. Remember it's a texture, look at the sparkles and see if it calls to you. If the price is right and you're feeling adventurous, then don't be afraid to give it a shot. A fair shot. Belugaria isn't perfect by any means. The formula is thick, but not impossible to work with and it does chip at the tips, but textures are a godsend for repair because not even you will notice the patching 1cm away from your eyeballs. It all boils down to how much effort you are willing to put into it. (which isn't that much lol I'd rather deal with Belugaria than a finicky too-sheer cream)

Anybody ever wonder what happens if you receive a text at the exact moment you're taking a picture with your phone? I never did until this happened:



LOL Isn't that weird?! I actually saw it happen, too. My whole screen shuddered as the picture snapped. XD (I just noticed my pinkie picture above is the same way... weird)

So... anyway lol What do you think? Am I crazy and Belugarai really is "gross" and "never should have been made" "I don't know what essie was thinking" "worst polish ever"? Or is it just a victim of the "ugly duckling syndrome"? I really want to know! Mostly out of curiosity. I already have an idea in my head for a black "grades of texture" ombre mani I will be doing in the near future featuring Belugaria as the final nail so you will be seeing it again. Whether you want to or not. hehehe Love you guys. I'll be back soon with that sling bag I was working on and a three-fer post with some pink! Y'all take care out there. (^_^)"/"

8 comments:

  1. I will admit that it is not my favourite, but I totally see the gems coming out of the tar pit and that is definitely grungy! And I love the little movie, like the tar is bubbling. So although this is a tricky polish, it is not ugly at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! *high fives* It's definitely not for everyone, but kudos to essie for trying something new. Certainly would not classify this one as "the worst polish ever".

      Delete
  2. I really like textured polishes and I'm not afraid of black ones either, but this one was my worst nightmare :)
    I actually bought it when it was released but I gave it away to a more courageous polish lover after trying it three or four times. I just couldn't look at it and not want to take it off, it just felt so wrong! I'm glad it found a welcome home in your stash though, I'll stick to the black PixieDust ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I've had polish moments like that, too. Usually yellows. At least you gave it a fair shot! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Your swatches somewhat convince me that this is not that bad.... But still... Nope lol
    Love how fair you are though, very well rounded review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Almost had ya, huh? Good enough for me! ;)

      Delete
  4. To be honest I can't make up my mind if I like it or not LOL, either way great review! How strange that you photo came out like that when you received a text!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one I think that it helps to see in person. There's so much that's hard to capture in pictures. lol Isn't that weird?! XD

      Delete

I love hearing from you!