Saturday, March 7, 2015

Models Own: Chrome Silver VS OPI: Push And Shove

CHROME!!! Do I have your attention? Good! Because I learned some interesting stuff last night that I just can't wait to share with you! I did a little experimenting with basecoats, but I'll get to that in a minute. First, two ultra-fast-drying coats of Models Own Chrome Silver:



OOooooohhhhh.... AAAaaaaahhhhh.... Absolutely perfect application, but it does dry quickly so you have to work quickly! Cleanup with Chrome Silver was easier than some of the more color-pigmented ones. The big question, though, is how does Chrome Silver stack up against OPI's "super special" Push And Shove?



Side note: I had to shake the crap out of Push And Shove. I don't know if it's typical for chromes (since most have the chrome color painted on the bottle), but it looked like the chrominess had left some kind of residue all over the inside of the bottle. About three minutes of vigorous shaking got everything reincorporated.

Back to the showdown! Can you tell which is which?



Yes? No? Maybe? The difference was far more pronounced last night, but several hours of coma-like sleep seems to have evened the playing field with these two. In all seriousness, last night Push And Shove was so much shinier than Chrome Silver I very nearly bought a back-up bottle from amazon. Glad I held off. Perhaps the "residue" is what makes it ultra reflective and the basis for their "one night only" claim is because it rubs off? *shrugs* All I know is that after sleeping on it (ha!) I don't think I need a back-up bottle quite so badly.

...oh, you probably want to know which is which, huh?



There ya go. Did you guess right? Are you wondering how I got the chrome to look so smooth instead of having it settle into every microscopic nook and cranny? Well wonder no more! I started off with one layer of Julep's ridge filler basecoat and then added OPI's "special" Lay Down That Base basecoat to smooth out the ridge filler because that dries matte and I was concerned about that affecting the polish. That's when I noticed something weird/interesting... *naked nail alert*



You remember how OPI's basecoat was barely there, but still shiny? If not you can see my experiment here. Well, it didn't seem to alter the ridge filler at all. I feel like it must have because I didn't get any drag or weirdness even with the first coat, but... hrm... next chrome I swatch I'll do over just the ridge filler (which is almost empty! AH!) to see what happens.

That's it for today. I'll be back tomorrow with Sinful Colors Standing Bloom Only. Hope everyone's having a great weekend! (^_^)"/"

2 comments:

  1. Budget friendly alternative to Push n Shove? Yes please! Thanks for figuring everything out... great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! ^_^ I love doing comparisons like this. It's always a little surprising to see the results!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!