Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Family Time

It may seem odd to some, but growing up in a military family I spent almost no time at all with my extended family. They were more of an abstract concept than a "hey! family!" thing. That said, I didn't even know my cousin Alexis even existed until we met on facebook through other family members. Hey! We're cousins! Cool! We hit it off pretty quickly and it was great getting to meet her for the first time. It's crazy how much we have in common, having not grown up together. Of course, since she had never been to Texas we had to hit all of the "good" stuff in the short time she had.

Starting with Dallas! Since that's where we picked her (and her boyfriend) up from.



We started off with the essential "JFK was shot here" stuff. This time I got a shot of the X that "marks the spot".



Not too far from that was the Anne & Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Museum which is currently housing a (free to get into) Samurai exhibit. They had a lot of armor, weapons, paintings and sculptures. My favorite was the Samurai fireman helmet! I didn't know such a thing existed.




On the way back we had to stop at the big ol' gas station in Italy. Sadly, the land that the Pegasus sits on is being sold. :(



We had a bit of time after getting here so we stopped by Chalk Ridge Falls for a quick walk-around.



There's a lot more open since the last time we were there.

Up next: Austin! Of course we didn't realize it was the week before SXSW so it was crazy crowded. Still, we made it to Museum Of The Weird again where they had some new displays! Mostly wax figures:



We were also treated to a different sideshow performance; this one by Juan Martinez who also gave us a bit of history about the place.



While there we also got to see the Minnesota Iceman which is currently on display there. Sadly, no pictures allowed, but he's totally worth going to see for yourself.

Of course, no trip to Austin would be complete without my personal favorite: Jones Center (formerly Arthouse). This time they had a Tom Sachs collection called "Boombox Retrospective" which I loved!



Especially this pleasant surprise:



Yeah, jumbo My Melody stopped me dead in my tracks. hehehe That also led nicely into our frist trip to Leguna Gloria and this adorable crying bunny fountain:



Thursday was mostly in-town shopping. Everyone was exhausted from two big city days. Then Friday it was back up to Dallas for their return flight. On the way we swung by The Catfish Plantation:



Which is smaller than I expected, but supposed to be very haunted. So is White Rock Lake:



We didn't see any ghosts, though. Not even when we made a quick stop to see the grave of Bonnie Parker (as in Bonnie & Clyde):



Fortunately Lady Luck and road karma were on our side and we made it to the airport with time to spare.



Aaron caught that beautiful sunset just outside of Waxahachie on our way home.

I know it doesn't seem like much all condensed like that. lol If you want to see all of the pictures (I do recommend it, especially for the Samurai, Boombox and sculpture garden exhibits) then check out my full album here. It's public so you don't have to friend me or anything. Also check out Juan's juggling sword swallow that photobucket would not let me upload.

Tomorrow I'll have my Paddy's Day mani, which I'm pretty proud of. Thursday is Becky and the oil slick comparisons. Still on schedule for the moment. Hope everyone is having a great week so far. Be safe out there. (^_^)"/"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time!
    I wonder how much family I have out there that I've never heard of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! ^_^ It is interesting to find out. I suppose it depends on how dip you want to dig...

      Delete

I love hearing from you!