Thursday, January 15, 2015

Julep: Janae & Tilda +Comparison

Good morning! Trying to get myself back on schedule here. Today we're taking a look at a couple of new Juleps. Starting with two coats of Janae which is a very dark, creamy grey that looks blue-toned in some lights:



And green toned in others:



The formula on this one was a bit thick and I did get a little bubbling on some of my nails. This could have been application-haste.

If you recall, the only reason I got the January box was thanks to the promise of a free "Metamorphic Topcoat". There were, I believe, three different topcoats and those who opted in would receive a random pick. The one I got is called Tilda. Here is one coat of Tilda over Janae:



OOooooohhhhh.... I've pallet-tested Tilda over a couple of different colors and, no, they don't all come out looking the same. You will be seeing her again, that's for sure.

Now you may be thinking, as I did, "I have some shimmery white sheers. I wonder if this is the same as those?". Well, in my case, I came up with two other sheer "white" toppers:



Left to right: Julep Tilda, essence Prism@tic White and Pure Ice Oh Baby!. The verdict? Pretty surprising.



Left to right: Julep, essence, Pure Ice, Julep. Tilda is smooth, but you can see the color particles and the color is mostly green with no visible (in overcast lighting) duochrome effect. Prism@tic White is super smooth with a very distinct blue-purple duochrome effect. Oh Baby! also has a strong blue-purple shift, but is more like a very fine glitter and is also the only one that required two coats. Cool.

So, tomorrow was supposed to be Dopey, but that ended up being more sheer than I expected so I moved it down the line a bit and went with a different quick-dry: Formula X Racy! Yep, tomorrow I'm going to have a Formula X chrome! That tickles my happy. lol OMG! According to the tracker I should get my Barry Ms today! *happy dance* Okay, I'm off for now. Hope everyone is having a fantastic week. I'll be back tomorrow with some super pretty, chromey goodness! (^_^)"/"

8 comments:

  1. OMG... Tilda is GORGEOUS!!!
    I wonder if I can get my greedy little hands on her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know if they're going to be available for sale. You can bet if they are I'll do whatever it takes to get the others!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the comparison! It's so hard to tell with these toppers. Tilda is pretty but Julep continues to be on my no buy list (all those problems they had with customer service and mavens early on scared me off). I need to add more brands to that list before my stash outgrows my house, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problemo! It can be hard to tell; there's no indication from the bottle that the Pure Ice would look like it does. I haven't had any problems with Julep (though it does make me nervous that they still haven't reintroduced the "cancel account" button on their website...), but I think it's good to have no-buy brands. To keep the numbers down if nothing else!

      Delete
  3. I didn't care for Tilda much as a top coat, but two coasts on its own is gorgeous! I work in a conservative office, and under artificial light it looks like a frosty pearl (totally appropriate) but outside it catches the light beautifully. I need to wear gloves while driving to keep from getting distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I may have to try it over a nude. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! Tilda is gorgeous! Love the different effects you can get out of such similar polishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! So glad they aren't dupes. hehehe Tilda herself is pretty versatile as well. I'm tempted to move up my pink just to show it off. ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!