Friday, December 19, 2014

Satin Glam Water Marble #SBBNailChallenge

Hey, guys! (^_^)"/" Today's water marble is for the #SBBNailChallenge 17 - Matte! Part of me knew that trying to marble with a quick drying matte was going to be moderately problematic... Little did I realize that trying to work with a satin matte (as opposed to a regular cream-type matte) was going to be such an ordeal. The end result? Worth all the hassle.



For this I used Sally Hansen Taffeta, Teal Tulle and Chic Pink. I was initially only going to do the purple and blue, but then my friend Barry commented on my test picture that it looked like Viniq (which I had never heard of and had to google) and I decided I had to do the pink... and the blue. Just not all three together because I felt that would be a bit much for each nail.

First, a look at the original post-cleanup result:



This is the original satin matte finish. The problem with this (which will be illustrated shortly) is that even after it dried, it was still really soft and dentable. So I added topcoat:



Very pretty and sparkly, but no longer a contender for the "matte" prompt. I then added a layer of the Butter London matte topcoat because that one seems to go on the smoothest/thinnest and, I believe, actually matched the original finish quite well. (I think not using the flash makes it look more matte...)



Now, my gripes. 1st - While the polish began it's spreading really well, after the first 2-3 drops it stopped doing that. So I ended up with a very small area of design to work with, meaning one nail at a time. 2nd - Having to work steadily as quickly as possible so the polish didn't dry before I could get my fingers in there. 3rd - There was almost nothing holding the polish together so cleaning up the water so I could get my fingers back out was an ordeal and I had to use a clear polish to get all the leftover bits stuck together before I could start another finger. *falls over* The only good thing about this process (aside from the final result) is that it seems if I pull my fingers out of the water slowly it gives any bubbles a chance to pop in-process. I think I ended up with one bubble in the whole mani.



On my ring finger you can see where I got a pre-topcoat dent, and my index finger shows what happened when I tried to dip two at a time. -_- Poor thing caught the very edge of my workable space.



Ka-chick! Overall, I'm super happy with the end result. Would I put myself through this again? ....probably just as an accent. Full mani ended up being a bit much for me. I do like it, though, and think I will keep this until my Yule mani on the 21st which will (shock and surprise) serve to satisfy #SBBNailChallenge - 23 - Inspired by winter! "But Lizzy! What are you going to post for the next two days?!" Uhm... *shrugs* I don't know. lol If I had some nail wheels I'd do some comparisons, but currently I still need my fingers for those. Maybe I'll take a couple of days off. We'll see.

Hope everyone is having a super fantastic week. Don't know when I'll see you next, but... I'm guessing most people are going to be pretty busy anyway. Y'all take care, stay safe and Happy Hanukkah! (^_^)"/"

4 comments:

I love hearing from you!