Wednesday, July 16, 2014

An Oft Hated Polish....

Hello, darlings! Come close while I regale you with tales of days gone by.

Once upon a time, when my insanity was still in its infancy, I was enthralled by videos and images of holo polishes on Colette's blog... blogger is suddenly not loading my reading list, but I've linked her before so... moving on.... *ahem* Keep in mind this was back when I balked at paying more than $2/bottle and knew almost nothing about holos except that they were pretty and I wanted one. Cue eBay...



My ignorance of holos and subsequent acquisition of this set of "chunky holos" by KleanColor was really nobody's fault but my own. Even so, I'm sure you can imagine my disappointment when I received Chunky Holo Purple (along with three other equally disappointing "chunky holos") instead of something more like, say, Color Club's Eternal Beauty.



Color/finish expectations aside, the formula on these suck. Like Nfu Oh 40 level suckage. After about 20 minutes I added my quick dry topcoat, an hour later I spazzed and knocked my nails together somehow and they were still a bit tacky so I added the quick dry drops and that seemed to do the trick. No sleep damage. Yay!



This is one coat of Chunky Holo Purple over two coats of Jessica Black Matte. I realize the black kind of negates the base-specific specialness turning what should be a purple-blue flakie-like-glitter into the practically generic more standard red-orange-green, but.... this was my second choice for WBW (can't remember which overstuffed drawer my Milanis are in) and I just grabbed a quick drying base. :p

And so, my fabulous peeps, thus concludes another exciting edition of Way Back Wednesday. I did get my Zoya sale order in last night (*squee*), but according to the tracker my ILNP sale order should be coming in today so I will share both of those tomorrow. S'alright? S'alright. I really want to try one of the "magical" PixieDusts, but man... we're supposed to get rain for a solid week. So tomorrow I'll stick to the queue with Claire's Sprinkles! That should be a fun one. Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! (^_^)"/"

16 comments:

  1. OMG I love these KC 'Holos' <3 I own quite a few <3 Is the Claires from me? I can't wait to see it - will it be a Hello Kitty themed mani? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I guess somebody has to love 'em. You should do a mani with them to show us the best way to utilize them!! :D Yeah, it's the Claires you sent. hehehe There is a very good chance Hello Kitty will make an appearance. ;)

      Delete
    2. hihi i find your HK obsession adorable :)

      Delete
    3. aw hehehe She's been with me since I was a kid. So glad she's getting popular again over here.

      Delete
  2. Urgh. I don't often hate a polish. I feel like most can be used for something, especially if you like nail art. But these? Man do I regret these. I was like you, in my polish crazy infancy. The fact that these colour shifted at all blew my mind. But...they stink (literally) are gloopy, refuse to dry, alter polish base colours in non flattering ways...I could go on and on. I'm glad I just got the minis. I put the entire mini set in the staff room for someone to take and only managed to get rid of three. I couldn't even GIVE all of these away <_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO!!! That is too funny! XD I can imagine you running around the library with outstretched hands whispering loudly "You want these polishes? I swear there's nothing wrong with them. Hey! Get back here and take the polish!!" hehehehe

      Delete
    2. hahahah! Lizzy forget whispering, I *really* wanted them gone. I woulda straight up yelled ha!

      Delete
    3. O_O In the LIBRARY?! That's true desperation. lol

      Delete
    4. BWAHAHAH you wouldn't believe how often I've wanted to stomp out of my office and shush my coworkers cause they were too damn noisy and I was trying to read a polish blog...er...work ;) Bunch of noise makers us librarians are...

      Delete
    5. *gasp* That's naughty.... hehehehe

      Delete
  3. I felt the same i bought 5 colours. I got them from America took 4 weeks to arrive here and them I was so disappointed with the formula that I end up giving them away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that double sucks having to wait all that time just to be disappointed...

      Delete
  4. Woah these look like hex glitter flakies (you know how flakies shift from red to green, but holos are more like rainbow colored)
    Sucks about the formula though, NO THANK YOU if it's anything like nfu-oh 40...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually a lot like hex glitter shaped flakies. They had such potential for awesomeness, but didn't quite deliver....

      Delete
  5. Ugh I have some of these Chunky Holos too! Did not like them from the get go. Ordered mine from Amazon well over a year ago, possibly even 2, but was disappointed with them because they are described as holographic but are more like flakie polishes. I have not found a good combo to were them with either :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the weirdest thing, huh? At least they look cool in the bottles... lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you!