Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Way Back With Magnets!

Well, looks like Blogger does not want to load up my reading list. Sorry ladies, I'll try to catch up tonight. Funny story: Most of the designs in this post showed up better in pictures than in real life... even so today will also be a lesson in practicing before posting. I'd rank it a minor to moderate FAIL on my part, but you can judge for yourself. First up, the polishes in this (intended) epic magnet adventure:



Black, Dark Purple, Dark Green, Wine and Khaki.

The result?



Can you read that? It's supposed to say "LOVE"... can you read it now?

The tool?



This nondescript little stick-pen with a magnet on the end by essence. Why didn't this come out when magnetic polishes were huge?



I believe this could have been the savior of the magnetic trend. Or, at the very least, held it off long enough to get a wider variety of colors...

*ahem* For those of you who still couldn't read it, essence comes to the rescue again with another handy dandy tool!



Ta-da! Legibility brought to you by essence's Nail Art Tattoo Pen.



Yep, works just like a felt tip marker. Except it's polish.

Ready for my Fail-a-thon In Pictures? Starting with the thumb on my left hand. It's supposed to be a heart... if you imagine the heart is upside-down you might just see it...



Or maybe not. I tried doing a smiley face on my right thumb and that didn't show up either.

Up next is my sad right hand displaying my left hand's "bless your heart" attempt at recreating some of the designs I could never get to fully work.



Left to right I attempted straight diagonal lines, dots, chevrons (looks more like an angry face) and the starburst. That went well...

In my own defense I bring you my test swatches. Except the black splotch added this morning to see if Black really was that invisible (it is) all of these designs were created using the magnet pen this past week. Hopefully this will explain my mounting excitement. lol



It looks so dynamic on Dark Green and even Wine shows the design better there than on my nails. You know what that means? Practice! And lots of it. You will be seeing more magnetic attempts in the future. Uhm... I'll also check HEB and see if the magnetic pen happens to be in the basic essence display... I forgot yesterday. *sorry*

Tomorrow it's back to chrome with Sally Hansen's Cobalt Chrome, then Friday Norma will regale you with her experience using Julep's plie wand. Sandy has requested a water marble so I'll be putting some colors together for that. I guess that's about it. No buy still going... it's going. I'm not happy about it, but trying to keep my eyes on the prize. Hope everyone is having a great week so far. C'mon back for some chromey goodness! (^_^)"/"

12 comments:

  1. gahh magnetix are tough - I gave up on them a while back - to much hassle for the result :) the oldie goldie trend i love are crackles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I love crackle, too. ^_^ Sadly the stock magnets work best on flat nails which I definitely do not have. I'm determined to make this pen work, though!

      Delete
  2. I did not know this magnet wand thingy existed! They should have been in every rack of magnetic polishes ever. Now I think I might need to track one down to go with the many magnetics I still have hanging around waiting to be tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It seems like the simplest thing in the world. I got mine from gin (she commented above you there) and they did not have it in the basic essence display. :( Good luck finding one! It definitely has serious potential.

      Delete
  3. That wand thingy is very cool! Magnetic polishes never work for me :( love the concept of them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odds are you didn't glob it on thick enough. lol You really need a super thick second coat for the magnetic bits to move around smoothly. ;)

      Delete
    2. I would agree with you, I would do two thin coats. May have to revisit them :)

      Delete
    3. *fingers crossed*!!! ^_^

      Delete
  4. I definitely see the O, I thought that's the effect of some funky magnet haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to either have to do a full mani with the green, or find some other colors that show a little better. >_>

      Delete
  5. I want that wand tool :) I think i only have one magnetic polish left because they dried out for some reason :) maybe i didn't close the cap properly lolololo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hrm. Maybe? I dunno. All of mine seem fine so far. They haven't even settled as much as I expected them to.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!