Saturday, April 12, 2014

Born Pretty Store Nail Art Dangle Kit

Yep, you read that right. "Nail Art Dangle". This isn't your typical glue-on dangle, though. When I was in high school someone (I forget who) put out a nail piercing kit. I loved it! Sometimes I'd wear long falsies and do two piercings on a nail. Never thought I'd ever see such a thing again, but Born Pretty Store has me covered with their 12 colors 120pcs Pearl Silver Nail Art Dangle Ring w/ Bead Charm Drill Set.... this:



They do sell wheels separately with just the charms, but since my previous drill (which was really just a skinny screw with a handle) is long gone I opted for the convenient kit. Even if I still had the old one, the included drill is actually a big upgrade from the one I used to have.



It twists apart so you can cover the drill part for storage. (Note: This piece is threaded backwards so you have to turn it clockwise to unscrew the pieces and turn counter-clockwise to put them back together) In addition, the drill part is an actual drill bit which gives you a much better hole. Yep, hole. That's the part that makes this not quite for everyone. If you want to give it a try (c'mon, nails grow so it's not permanent damage!) here are some helpful tips.



Make sure you're working on a stable surface that you don't mind accidentally drilling into. Not your leg like I'm showing in the picture. Pick a spot at least 1mm away from the edge to reduce the likelihood of breakage. Lay the part of your nail that you're drilling flat on your drilling surface and drill from the back like I'm showing. That way you're reducing the strain on your nail as much as possible. Simply spin the tool clockwise (as you would normally if you're drilling or screwing something) to create the hole, then spin it counter-clockwise to remove. You may have to buff off some roughness, but in the end you're left with a hole no bigger than the tip of a ballpoint pen.



Teeny tiny. Then the fun part! I chose a ring with a lavender bead to match my polish. I recommend using needlenose or jewelry pliers to help get the ring in there. You have to gently pull it apart a bit, thread it through the hole and then pinch the ring shut again. In the end you're left with something like this:



Almost twenty years later and I still think this is about the coolest thing ever. Also, it's nowhere near as cumbersome as it looks. You'll definitely know it's there, but as long as you close the ring properly it's not really going to get snagged on anything and the only issue I'm having typing is with the shift key from time to time. If you'd like to give this kit a try you can find it here for $6.65; but don't forget my code EMX31 for 10% off!

So, I gotta ask, what do you think? I know it's not for everybody, but would you ever consider doing this? And be nice, haterade is not permitted here. LOL Y'all take care and have a great weekend. If all goes as planned I'll have some spring themed nail art for you tomorrow! (^_^)"/"

14 comments:

  1. I think that it is pretty darn cool, and like you said nails grow so really there's no damage! Looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! (^_^)/"\(^_^) I think that's my favorite thing about hair and nails. It'll all grow out soon enough. lol

      Delete
  2. For people worried about the hole, you could always use a press on nail for your accent so your natural nail would be intact! I think this is fun, and I've seen a ton of salon posts on instagram using dangle charms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very cool, like a nose piercing for your nails lol. I would never do that to my nails though, they are too fragile :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes! Ah well, maybe one day they'll be strong! ;)

      Delete
  4. I don't think I would ever use that as cool as it looks. I know nails grow but it makes some ppls nails more prone to breakage. But as someone pointed out you can always use a false nail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not for me but this is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do this all the time, 30 years ago...... Everyone would ask me if it hurt....LOL.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Of course it doesn't. ;) Unless you snag it really hard, I suppose...

      Delete

I love hearing from you!