Thursday, February 20, 2014

Born Pretty Store Fantasy Holo Nail Foils Review

Hello lovelies! I've got another amazing product from Born Pretty Store to share with you today. I had a fair share of difficulties with this and I wasn't sure where to begin, so let's just jump in.



The Fantasy Holo Nail Foils* have the potential to look really awesome. You get a 30cm X 10cm sheet of this super pretty transfer foil.



30cm x 10cm is quite a lot of foil. Which is good because I went through a lot of trial & error. According to the video on the product page (and several tutorials) you can use normal topcoat to apply the foil. I found this extremely difficult as you have to perfectly time application when the topcoat is still tacky but not wet. This did work on a few nails, but applying topcoat over the foil killed the holo shimmer.



So then I tried finding "nail foil glue" and ended up with arts and crafts foil glue. It does work, remaining tacky when it dries. However, I found it difficult to get the glue smooth.



Despite the unevenness, the foil stuck to the glue much better than it did to the topcoat. I know it looks like a mess, but both the foil and the glue came off with 100% acetone.



The funniest part of this whole learning process was that the first finger I did turned out the best...



See how pretty that is when it works? The two biggest drawbacks being that you can't topcoat without killing the holo and without topcoat it didn't last through the night.



Overall I really like the Fantasy Holo Nail Foils in theory. If you can get the right kind of glue then it really does look amazing for the short time that it lasts, and it wouldn't be difficult at all. Simple as applying polish (except it's glue) and pressing the foil onto your nail. Perfect for a special occasion! I will be revisiting these as soon as I can find the proper adhesive. Don't forget to use my code EMX31 for 10% off!




*Product provided free for honest review. Not otherwise compensated or dictated.

12 comments:

  1. When I tried another nail foil of theirs, I used just an ordinary topcoat. You won't get a perfect transfer for sure but the distressed look is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Distressed. ;) That's totally what I was going for. lol I like how they have it in the pics on the site, but it just did not want to work with me.

      Delete
  2. I had the same issues when working with foil. I think it would look amazing if all the nails turned out the same, but I have to agree the distressed look is cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *phew* At least it's not just me. I did break down and order the proper adhesive for $7... I really hope that makes as big a difference as I'm expecting it to.

      Delete
  3. The best application that I had was when I bought the Ciate` foils from TJ Maxx. They give you a small bottle of the glue and the best way that I learned was to only put one thin coat of the glue down and you're supposed to wait until it turns to a pretty blue shimmery color instead of milky white. You put WAAAY to much on lol.. But that's how we live and learn.. And as far as the top coat thing goes, there are a few that will still keep the foil intact, but it is dependent on the foil .. Again.. Trial and error. This is definitely a single day wear thing.. Which saddens me cause I love the foils..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I had difficulties. lol Definitely a learning curve with these things. They are super pretty, though!

      Delete
  4. The finished product looked amazing on you! But these are a total pass for me. Too much work/having to get special products for such limited wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did order the 'proper' nail glue stuff. That should make it a LOT easier. >_>

      Delete
  5. I like foils but they only last one day on my nails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that seemed to be the case for me as well. I wish I could topcoat without killing the shine....

      Delete
  6. I think that is something I will probably skip. If you had a tricky time with it; I am liable to hurt cuddly objects when trying it. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Here's hoping it's easier with the right kind of glue.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!