Saturday, December 28, 2013

China Glaze: Crush, Crush, Baby

*stretches* Christmas Insanity Void took a lot out of me. lol Slept for most of today and just sat in bed (yeah, still in my jammies) playing Saints Row 4 for a few hours before I even entertained the idea of going out for dinner. Now I just want to lay back down. So... yeah, probably no post tomorrow, but I do have a very nearly complete review of (at least one of) the China Glaze Crinkle Chromes! Yeah, I'm assuming they'll all be about the same, just different colors.

So I started with Crush, Crush, Baby. "The lavender one". To create the texture in the chromes China Glaze used the regular cream-texture-beads and bar glitters. After one coat, that's exactly what it looks like. Chrome polish with beads and bars. (I'll get a picture of that next time) After the second coat it takes on more of a "crunched up metal" effect.



My first impression (after the first coat) was "Why didn't they just jam-pack it with the beeeaaaadsssss?!" After the second coat I saw where they were going with it. lol It dried pretty quickly and that's always a bonus. Overall I love the effect. Chrome? Texture? YES!!!



Now the "but"s. First "but" is that chromes (true chromes like this, not fakers like the Julep ones) don't like my basecoat and tend to chip horrendously fairly quickly. I can just pick at it and it flakes off. Second "but" is the problem with the bar glitters and how they like to hang off the edge of your nail. I had no problems using a buffer and filing them off, buuuuuut... that leaves the tips more exposed than they should be for a polish that doesn't want to stick in the first place. I don't ever topcoat my texture polishes, but this warranted a little experimentation:



My ring and index fingers have no topcoat. Pinkie finger has my normal quick dry (NutraNail) topcoat and my middle finger is sporting the Julep Freedom Polymer topcoat. It's thick, like a gel. Normal topcoat added minimal shine, but didn't interfere with the texture. It feels a little smoother, but looks like it should. Julep's thicker topcoat makes the texture noticeably smoother... which kinda brings the texture together, but the "gel shine" really alters the chrome-ness. Also... I was rubbing it to get a feel while I was describing it and the polish just popped right off that nail. So... uhm... yeah... I don't know if that's normal or not. I still have five more to swatch so I'll keep experimenting. (I'm aware those subtleties aren't really coming across in the pictures. Sorry. I'll try to get better pictures of that, too.

You know you're a polish sucker when you're sitting here looking at a table full of untrieds and still order two more from the Julep warehouse sale... hehehehe I got Lucky (their St Paddy's Day green & gold glitter) and MacKenzie (sour apple green) for $8 all together. Couldn't help it. Like I said, no post tomorrow. You'll be okay, right? LOL Gotta get everything ready to head up to see Norma! I'll probably be coming back with even more polishes. O_O I know, I have problems. Oh well. Hope everyone has an amazing weekend! I'll be back Monday with stories and pictures! (^_^)"/"

8 comments:

  1. Oh that's very genius!! The bar glitters totally make it look crinkly, interesting.... This is def gonna be a new trend... Looks like CG came up with this one right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are the first here, yes. ^_^ I love the extra dimension the bar glitters added. Way cool effect. Now if I could just get it to not chip off.... lol

      Delete
  2. hey Sweet Lizzy- just a quick belated Merry Xmas and huge wishes for the New Year. I will be back around the blogs from this point on. Smooches xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Xmas! *hugs* Always a pleasure to see you around. ^_^

      Delete
  3. Very unique texture.Wishes of a Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an awesome effect. I am definitely a picker of polish, so this would probably not be a good choice for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Probably not. Although it never hurts to try. ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!