Saturday, November 16, 2013

Striping Tape Tutorial

....sort of. I'm trying to get better about taking pictures while I'm doing nail art. They're not super great since I'm usually doing it at night; so they're all indoors with the flash. I'm typing this up because A) it's another super easy nail art that anybody can do and B) when I first encountered striping tape I was pretty appalled at the prices I was running into. So hopefully this post will help any of you who may be interested in re-creating yesterday's look on the cheap.

I'm pretty happy now having two full rolls (spools?) of striping tape from Born Pretty Store.



Some people use a spare scotch tape container to hold these. I don't have one, so I just folded over the end so I can find it later. The best part about striping tape, imo, is that it's not too sticky to start with. You can put it right on your nails without sticking it all over the back of your hand first. The hardest part is remembering that the first color you apply will be your lines color. lol



I love the scattered lines look, so that's what I went for here. I put the tape on both of my fingers so I wouldn't have to try and manipulate the tape with wet polish.



But only painted one at a time, because you don't want to let it dry too much.



I recommend removing the tape from the tip of your nail first. I had the base start to pull up on my thumb when I started at the cuticle. Just pull the tape up slowly and smoothly. If you can't remember which order you applied the strips (I sure didn't) that's okay! Just stop when you meet resistance and try another strip. It helps to keep a piece of paper nearby to stick the strips to once you get them off.



Repeat the process with each nail you intend to stripe; then finish with topcoat.



Just... maybe wait a little longer than I did there... lol I've seen this done with holo stripes and it looks amazing! Definitely going to give that a try.

If 99cents (and free shipping) still seems steep; I got my tape in the 99cent grab bag with two other items.

There you have it. Hope you enjoyed. Tomorrow I'm going to review my latest etsy purchase. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!! (^_^)"/"

8 comments:

  1. really great tutorial and great hints :) I hope you do more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot. I have a few colors .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yea I can never remember the order I apply them and just instead start tucking at them randomly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got lucky on my first finger, but that was about it. lol At least it's easy enough to just stop and try another one.

      Delete
  4. That is awesome. I think I could handle that! Such a cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally could! ^_^ I suck pretty bad so if I can do something anybody can. lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you!