Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Julep: Casper VS China Glaze: Ghoulish Glow VS Essence: Fly Firefly Fly

*phew* Yep, all of that. I've got a lot to cover so I'll try not to talk too much. Ghoulish Glow and Fly Firefly Fly are pretty much the same; Julep added some shimmer to Casper that makes for a really pretty non-glow effect, but the glow does seem to suffer a bit for it.



I used three coats of each to try and maximize the glow effect. All three dried fairly quickly with no weird buckling or bubbles. Tested over neon green on my left hand and neon pink on my right (both painted over white, I'll go over those more tomorrow). Casper on my thumb, Ghoulish Glow on my index and middle fingers and Fly Firefly Fly on my ring and pinkie fingers. I did get a little fading of the original colors, but no wonky distortion. The shimmer in Casper is especially pretty over the pink.





I picked up a blacklight lightbulb over Halloween especially for swatching glow polishes. lol So this first video I'm holding each bottle up to the light for a few seconds so you can see how well the bottles glow.



Even in the bottles Casper is at a clear disadvantage glow-wise.

Starting with "over green" I've got a few pictures. First is directly under the blacklight bulb.



Removing my hand from the light and into the dark.



A video in case you wanted to see the transition from light to shadow.



And one more where I stuck my hand out the window to charge it with the sun.



And to the right hand! Directly under the blacklight bulb:



Then, something weird happened when I pulled my hand away and into the darkness.



Apparently green and pink make orange! I'm going to have to try this again with Ch Nail #12 because over the pink none of these colors held their charge as well as they did over the green.



And a final shot after sticking my hand out the window. Sun charge!



*falls over*

Final thoughts? Casper makes a great topper if you're wanting to wear glow polish without looking like you're wearing glow polish. Ghoulish Glow and Fly Firefly Fly are about the same, as I said before. China Glaze is generally easier to find (and has that cute little ghostie on the bottle!), but more expensive. Quick Tip: The lighter/brighter the base, the more glow effect you'll get. And apparently the color of the glow can change as well, so don't be surprised when I pop back up with one of these layered over a neon skittles mani. ;) Just to see what happens.

Time to go grab eats! Come on back tomorrow to get a better look at the neon bases. Hope everyone's week is going smoothly. (^_^)"/"

14 comments:

  1. Wow I realized that I don't have any glow in the dark polish! Oh well, I guess no one else would ever seen them glow anyways...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None at all? Aw. Yeah, I guess nobody really sees mine either, but they're still fun to play with. ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't have any glow in the dark polishes but I had been eyeing the CG and Julep so it's great to see them compared, the shimmer in julep is pretty but I'd want to go for the most glow possible! Wish they sold the essence one here :)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe Yeah, the glow effect is the whole point, right?! I'd definitely go with the China Glaze.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I loved the tiny adorable ghoul on ChG. I got ChG, Julep and the tombstone glow in the darks. Of those I found the ChG the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I missed out on the tombstone glow! >_> I remember seeing it at first, but they were all gone by the time everything went on sale. Would that be worth me picking up next year?

      Delete
    2. Naw I don't think so. I snagged mine for like 1.5 or something and that was before I had the ChG so I don't regret getting it totally but since you have the ChG, and the Essence I'd say you can skip. They're better than the Tombstone one anyway

      Delete
  4. It glows very nicely. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I came to the same conclusion about the lighter/brighter base when I reviewed Pure Ice's glow polish. How weird that it changed colors over the pink, would be interested to find out what that does over other colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouldn't have to wait too long to find out. Since I have the blacklight bulb and don't have to wait for bright sun I'm itching to see what happens!

      Delete

I love hearing from you!