Monday, November 4, 2013

Be Loud Braid Mani (+Tutorial)

Hello darlings!!! I am super excited about this. When I first did my test nail I thought perhaps the olive green (looks dark grey in this first pic) made the whole thing too "military/camouflage" looking, but Aaron said it looked fine to him so I kept it. I am not taking credit for this design; I've seen it in several places. I'm including this easy step-by-step in hopes that you'll give it a shot, too!



hehehe I love how these colors work together. Especially the splash of the fuchsia/purple. You can use any colors you like for this effect. Any colors at all. Nothing special required for this look. So those of you that are new to nails and/or feel like you have no art skills can absolutely do this one. The colors I used are:



Like A Stone In The Wall, Riot Grrr-een, and Riot @ <3. I... hope that comes up right. It has a heart in the name. Okay, so for the base color I used #3, I'll have a swatch of that soon. Pick a color and paint your nails like normal, then line up your colors like that. It helps to keep them in order so you don't get confused. For this look you're just using the normal polish brush so take Color #1, wipe off most of the excess (you don't need much) and make a little diagonal swoop like so:



See? Super easy. Wait a few for that to dry, then take Color #2 and make another diagonal swipe across the first so you have an X:



So far so good? Color #3 goes just under your first swipe. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it's okay if it overlaps a little. As long as you don't have super thick lines on one side and super thin on the other you'll be okay!



Then we're back to Color #1 on the opposite side and you can see the braid start to take shape!!



Back to Color #2 and we're almost done!



Color #3 goes on like normal, but you can see we're at the end of the nail for that side:



Finally finishing with Color #1. All you're doing is filling in the area beneath the line above it and overlapping just a little so the center area looks uniform from top to bottom.



Give it a few minutes to dry, add a generous layer of topcoat, little bit of cleanup (far less than some techniques, I picked mine off in the parking lot) and you're done!



If you find yourself intimidated by nail art, I seriously encourage you to try this one. Even if it's just on one nail. Just keep your polish in a line so they don't get jumbled, take the steps one at a time and go for it! I was surprised by how easy it is and I know you will be, too.

Tomorrow's going to be a busy busy morning for me, but when I get back I'll have another tag-team Lizzy-Norma post for Cygnus Loop!! :D Yes, finally. lol Got some more goodies from Polish Yer Hooves, few things still from Born Pretty Store... So many untrieds. lol Hope you'll stick with me on this crazy journey. I love you guys! (^_^)"/" Take care of yourselves out there.

12 comments:

  1. really cool nail art and those colours look fantastic together, perfect for fall!

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to do this before and couldn't do it seems so simple but when i try it I can't make it right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, what went wrong? The hardest part for me is keeping the colors and direction in order. I tried thinking of it like braiding hair and that helped.

      Delete
  3. I have seen this technique and I always thought, that's gonna be to hard for me to do, but you just made it look super easy! I will be trying this now, for sure :) You did a great job on yours, love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, it looks too hard, I don't have a steady hand so I WILL end up with crazy messed up cuticles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard at all. I bet you could totally do it. :)

      Delete
  5. haha, I feel this post is directed at me and my non artistic nail art ability. You make it look super easy, but what about my non dominate hand? I may practice this on the kiddo first before attempting on myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect! ;) I did have some spazzy moments painting on my right hand, but the next lines do a good job of hiding oopsies. It kinda fixes itself as you go along. I know you can do it! :D

      Delete
  6. I should try this! I should also move somewhere that stocks more Essence, but I think the braided nail might actually happen whereas the move, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I can't wait to see it! :D I love your dotticures, but perhaps you could keep this in mind as a backup in case you get bored with dots. lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you!