Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nfu Oh: 40

*stretches* So, are we all sufficiently disappointed yet? LOL I'm currently testing #54 and I should have a verdict on that by the time I'm done typing this up. For now let's concentrate on Nfu Oh 40; what it is and what it isn't. Nfu Oh 40 is a flakey in a clear base that shines more bluish over most colors. More or less. It is pretty and versatile and the flakies lay nice and flat. That's good! Here's a glimpse of 40 over Rimmel I Lilac You.



That's taken in the shade because the sun was washing out my flakies making them look orange... -_-

40 isn't perfect. Not even close. lol The formula is really thick and if you've ever tried the KleanColor holo-glitters that were super popular last year... you have an idea of how long it takes to "dry". Forever. Hours. Here's my dry-time-test (similar to my opacity test) and you can see my finger squished right through it after 45 minutes:



So after about half an hour I added a coat of my NutraNail quick-dry topcoat and then another half hour later it was still tacky (because 40 did, indeed, melt my base color) so I added my Julep quick-dry drops on top of that. Also, thickness and layers did leave me with some unfortunate (but not overly gross/noticeable) bubbling.



Fifteen minutes in and 54 is doing a little better. It's not as squishy, but still got my fingerprint in there so I'll be using a topcoat on that one, too. I'll also be using a dark blue base color to see if I can't get more contrast. :p So... I almost ordered another one last night (soon they'll be all gone!), but... I don't think I'll be doing that. I love the bottles and I'm glad I have these two for my collection, but I've got my color bases covered and these are far from ideal formulas. I'll do a full swatch/review for 54 soon. Going to try out the stamping contraption tonight and see if it helps with the full-nail designs, then Saturday I'm going to try out the Kiss nail sticker/strips since the month is almost half over already.

*looks around* I think I'm going to treat myself to some cake today... LOL Chocolate cake. Or yellow with chocolate frosting. *drools* And pizza. Have you tried the Little Caesar's deep dish? *drools* I think I'm ready for lunch. XD Hope everyone's having a great week! Weekend's right around the corner. :D

18 comments:

  1. yea, i am fed up with 40, I emailed the online store I bought it from, I'll see if they will let me return it :s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! *fingers crossed*

      Delete
    2. woohoo, they were soo nice, after I sent them an email explaining the issue, the refunded me asap and said that there is no need to return the polish, I feel kind of bad now haha

      Delete
    3. Woohoo! That's great. :D They must really want to keep your business. ;)

      Delete
  2. Man that sucks! Sooo weird that with alll the reviews and hype no one mentioned the shit formula! Maybe you have to do super thin coats? That's how I handle the KleanColor 'holo's' but like Jasmine said at 13 a bottle this should not be happening. I shall pass on 40. My 3 that I ordered are in, I'll get them from the post office tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait! How would you like to write a guest post on them? I can host the pics and stuff, just write up your review. Ya know, if you want. Just let me know. ^_^

      Delete
    2. Ooooh that's so cool! I'm so in! I'm going to test out my glitter-a-peel base coat when I use the Nfu Oh's too so if you want I can talk about that too :D

      Delete
    3. Sure! :D My email is up under my picture when you're ready. Can't wait!!

      Delete
  3. Also have you heard about the Maybelline Polka Dots collection yet? I think they've hit the states by now. I picked up the blue and green one today. I love them! I'm surprised! Will get the clear one next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen swatches, but I haven't seen the polishes yet. Sometimes they take a while to trickle down to us. :p lol

      Delete
  4. omgosh, I was thinking the exact same thing! like no one on the internet has ever mentioned that the polish doesn't freaking dry D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird, right? I mean, it's pretty but not SO pretty to make you just forget something like that. o_O

      Delete
  5. Oh if the formula is no good.the bootle is very pretty;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I adore the bottles. :D Definitely display-worthy.

      Delete
  6. Hey Lizzy/Jasmine

    So I got my Nfu Oh's today. I did a paper test with them and they all dried in about 5-6 minutes. I wanted to know if they'd dry over nail polish so I painted an area with polish, waited for it to dry, then painted the Nfu Oh's over. They were dry (yet tacky) to a light touch after 5 minutes and after 10 minutes they were completely dry.

    I got Nfu Oh 39 59 and 56.

    I made sure to use pretty thin coats because I figured the jelly base would take way longer to dry if I used a medium or thick coat.

    My guess - the forumlas on these are not good enough to warrant the hefty price tag but they are beautiful and so customers will buy them and they can keep charging so much money :/

    I've had similar experiences with Sinful Colors Green Ocean and the KleanColor 'holos' (the slow drying jelly base) and those polishes can be made to work so I think these can too but they'd take more effort.

    I think you'd absolutely need a good quick dry top coat. You'd also need patience. With this mani I'd think you'd need to make 100% sure your base color is dry (like paint your nails and come back a few hours later or even the next day!) and then do thin coats. To build opacity you'd have to wait, I'd think, 8-10 minutes between coats and then top it all off with a quick dry top coat.

    So that's my two cents. I didn't get 40 but 39 looks very similar and has the same type of jelly base I'd think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome stuff! :D Can't wait to see pics when you wear them!!

      Delete
  7. It's so pretty over the lilac but that sucks so bad about the drying...I hate when expensive polishes let you down *cough Chanel cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I get that it's imported and has a super fancy bottle and everything, but still... When cheap-o brands can totally nail a formula and the big guys can't? You gotta figure something's up.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!