Friday, June 14, 2013

Nail Art Stamping Contraption

Have you seen one of these before?



I think I had caught one video a while back that said it sucked out loud. But when an overly bubbly (and mildly hyperactive) chick says "omgeeeee this thingy doesn't wooooooork, it sucks so baaaaaaaaad!" in a whine that rivals nails on a chalkboard.... I take that with a grain of salt.

What we have here is a device that should make stamping easier. You pick a plate, put it in the end there, add your polish, stick your finger in the indented area, slide the pink part up, push the big white button, slide the pink part back down again, push the button again and voila.



Or... not voila. It's not that the device "sucks" per say. It's just an unfortunate victim of sloppy execution of what could have been a great idea. First let's cover the parts you could logically work with. The pink part doesn't slide easily. It does slide, but it catches a bit. No biggy. The nail support piece is supposed to lock in place (with a handy line showing you where to lock it for the tip-stamps), it does not. Unless you're riddled with arthritis or carpal tunnel, that's easily worked with as well. The scraper is just wide enough to cover the provided images and doesn't quite sit low enough to fully clean the excess. Even this isn't a super big deal, except... *sigh* The rubber stamper part. The thing I do like about it is that it's squishy enough to get the image the full width of the nail by just pressing down, no rolling necessary. However, it just didn't cleanly transfer the images. Even if you could see where it's lining up (which you can't, but with some practice and adjusting even that is overcome) it doesn't give you the full image or clean lines. In theory I could just pop out the stamper part and use that, even filing it a bit to "increase polish adhesion", but the rubber circle pops right out of it's holder. Hrm. I can't call this thing a FAIL because it does work... just not well. Too many little things that needed just a little more work.



So... yeah. On the bright side I have seven new plates, dotter and brush and a bazillion rhinestones. I may file the rubber bit and give it another go. I just don't understand why they made it to work only with octagonal plates when most of them are circles.... Anyway, yet another case of something not working as advertised, but I'm going to try again. Hate to think my mom wasted money. We'll see.

Moving on. We ended up with a little extra money yesterday and I finally made it to Sally's.



Scattered & Tattered was on clearance for $2.69 so I had to grab that. For my hair I decided on Pillarbox Red. I'm not bleaching my hair again and this should give me something that's obviously RED, but not too bright. Also, Manic Panic is made with all natural ingredients and is actually good for your hair! Ya know... if you don't bleach the crap out of it first. :p Still growing out the atrocities I committed on my hair (it grows so much slower than my nails!) and it's not really permanent so I think this is what I'll be doing for a while. lol

Tomorrow I'll have the Kiss strips review ready for you. I've got them on now and I will say "they're better than the OPI stickers". To see which ones I'm wearing (though I'm sure you can easily guess) and what I think of them, come back tomorrow! Or, ya know, enjoy your weekend and catch up on Monday. Whatever you do. ;)

8 comments:

  1. I bought the as seen on TV express nail stamping set before and that wasn't very good either :s
    I have never seen hair dye like that, looks intense, looking forward to see how it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll get some nice sun for pics tomorrow. ;) I got the express nail stamping thing, too. I like the double-ended stamper. Especially the small end for smaller designs. Helps me place them exactly where I want them.

      Delete
  2. I thought about the octagon vs. circle issue when I tried this device--I think they went with octagons because then the plate has no possibility of rotating after you put it in the slot, so it won't slip or move when you go on to the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's probably what it was. Could have made the bottom rubber to grip the plates, but... I guess if they were doing that they *could* have done a lot of other stuff too... lol

      Delete
  3. uh oh...better than the opi's? That's not saying too much :/
    Boo to the stamper not working but a china glaze for under 3? Score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super score! hehehe I love the glitz n pieces glitters! *swoons* LOL Didn't want to give too much away the day before. ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Definitely unique, just that the execution could have been a bit better.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!