Thursday, June 20, 2013

Misa: Spinning Out Of Control & June Challenge Day 20

A throwback from my first massive polish haul, Misa's Spinning Out Of Control is an absolutely stunning purple shimmer.



That my camera seems to think is blue. :p I have a better pic. This ended up being three coats. Two was fine for opacity, but I seriously over-estimated the time I had left before falling asleep so I added a third, and the rhinestones, this morning. And topcoat. lol I know I said I wanted to matte it, but... rhinestones!



That looks more purple, right? Spinning Out Of Control is a very deep royal purple. Very very pretty. I also learned that next time I add rhinestones I'll be doing it with glue and not topcoating over them. :p

So the Julep Maven decision window is open. I probably could have skipped this month if not for a particularly sparkly add-on....



I went with the Boho Glam box. I preferred those colors and after reading the description that body oil did intrigue me. Could have skipped all of that if not for the Fireworks glitter. Julep may be increasingly hit-and-miss, but they do put out some great glitters. You also have the chance to add-on America The Beautiful if you missed that one before. Since I am getting next month's box I think I'll go ahead and get Fiona out of the way tomorrow. lol

Today's prompt:
How important you think education is

I think a basic working education is extremely important. A basic education in at least reading, math, history, health and science is essential for everybody. However, I don't believe that a college education (at least as it's taught here) is as important as is proclaimed. People should be taught how to do their jobs (even if they are oftentimes "retrained" upon employment), and be allowed to learn whatever they want to beyond that. Several of my friends have mounting debts to cover a college degree that they themselves have called "useless in this economy". I do wish I had gone to college (still may some day), but following my bestie through her belated college career I have to wonder why she's forced to take so many classes that don't factor in to being a veterinarian. Greed. They say it's to "mold more well-rounded individuals", but it's greed. Forcing students to pay for courses they'll never use and have no interest in is not in their best interest. Not to mention the slew of perfectly successful people who don't have a college education. Times are changing and our educational system needs to start changing with it.

Tomorrow's prompt:
One of your favorite shows

13 comments:

  1. I am skipping this month, all the colors are too meh and I think the glitter in fireworks is gonna be too big

    You are so right about college education, you are only allowed to graduate with a certain amount of credits (~120 credits), which means I pretty much have to take a butt load of useless courses, and yea that stuff ain't cheap, tuition keeps on rising every year, now a normal 3 credit course is 470 bucks... and don't even get me started on "fees" ughhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is insane! Do you have scholarships or loans or something? Hopefully it doesn't put you in the poorhouse... I can't believe they can keep getting away with charging such outrageous amounts.

      No worries. I'll post up Fireworks as soon as I get it and I'm sure if you like it it will be available later. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love that color! That is my favorite color!! I completely agree with you about college. Greedy bastards! If you do go to college, go to a community college first. Much cheaper and smaller classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty!! :D I almost don't want to take it off. lol Yeah, my friend went to the community college right up the street. She said it was like glorified high school, but at least it didn't cost an arm and a leg and she did get her associates and that's what matters, right?

      Delete
  3. Once again I agree. I have an undergrad and a master's. I don't regret my education and I'm fortunate enough that I was able to get a job in my field and I've paid off all my student loans but 1) school isn't for everyone let alone university 2) having a degree or a diploma does not mean someone is 'smart' or will be able to handle such and such job 3) like you said the sheer amount of useless ... USELESS courses was ridiculous and don't get me STARTED on the gorilla tactics used to force students to buy the 'most up to date book!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh! Congrats on your masters! That's so awesome. :D I'm glad you were able to put it to use. And pay off your student loans, too. That's probably the only reason I didn't end up going. All through my schooling I was told "oh don't worry, you're smart enough that college won't be a problem", but no. Being an average white girl without a seedy history and no extraordinary musical or athletic skills did NOT serve me well in the scholarship arena. -_- Ah well, once Aaron makes it big in the FX biz I'll be able to get whatever degree I want. ;) lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks! :D
      Ugh they make university so freaking expensive. Ridiculous. Even if you do manage to get scholarships you're still in the hole. Back in my high school days I graduated with something like a 96% average. Got a scholarship that I was able to spread over my first year and a half of university. Then it was student loans *sigh*. With scholarships? Was still about 40 grand in the hole when I got out. Just ridiculous. Used to drive me crazy to see people who did get their whole shot paid just....goof off and flunk out. Or to see people whose parents put them through university complain (one person said - my parents will only (ONLY!) pay for my undergrad. <- talk about being ungrateful!)

      Here's hoping when Aaron hits the big one Ms Lizzy will hit the books (if you want ;) ). Hummm now if only universities taught 'Polish is Epic 101'...I'd be sooo there! :D

      Delete
    3. omg That would be the best class ever! LOL I'd probably go somewhere along the lines of library work or museum archivist or something. Nice, quiet work. *sssshhhhhh* lol

      Delete
    4. OOH Or had a polish library! *swoon*

      Funny you say that - I work in a public library. Word of caution - if you want peace and quiet do NOT come into a library. Oh the stories I could tell. But seriously, we deal with a lot of different people (everyone and anyone actually) and there are lots of mentally ill people that use public libraries as their 'go to' place which creates a whole host of challenges. Maybe records management or an archivist would be quiet though?

      Delete
    5. Oh goodness. Good to know! Thanks. :D

      Delete
  4. It looks like Cadbury purple and that is the best kind of purple- the rhinestones really finish it off nicely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMmmmm Cadbury *drooooll* Best chocolate in the world in my humble opinion :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!