Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blog In June: Day 4

Today's prompt:
Your views on religion

Oh mercy me. lol I was raised Protestant. Went to church every Sunday, VBS, Sunday school, the whole deal. The thing for me was that I always had my own inward beliefs. To me, the God I was learning about wasn't the be-all-end-all that everyone else thought he was. (I believed that Mother Nature and Father Time were God's parents and that's how he got to be powerful) I never thought that any of the Bible stories really happened. They were just another version of Aesop's Fables. Stories to give people an idea of how to live a good life. I don't think I ever really believed that Jesus was the literal son of God, but a prophet, martyr and (most importantly) prime example of how to be a good person. None of my personal views were ever really a conflict with my being a Christian until my teen years. Then two things happened. I started to become aware of how few Christians were actually the "good people" they should have been striving to be, and my friend from 2nd grade discovered Wicca. It wasn't something I was aware of, but once I started researching I discovered a whole different path that much more closely paralleled beliefs that I already held in my heart. I had an overwhelming sense of 'coming home'. As strong as these feelings were I kept my interest private and purely in a research phase until I turned 18. It's an unpopular concept, but children are their parent's property and I knew that religious affiliation (no matter how superficial) was ultimately my parent's choice until I was an adult and could make my own decision. So I waited. Also, if you're not willing to wait then perhaps it's not a worthwhile endeavor, eh?

On a more global level, I believe that a person's religion or spiritual path is their own damn business. It is something I'm willing to discuss with people who aren't going to get hot-headed or try to strongarm me into following their beliefs. No one path is right for everybody, otherwise there would be only one. And in matters of Spirit: Might does NOT make right! If your way is the "right" one, you shouldn't have to use scare tactics for converts or kill people who disagree. Your path is just as valid as anybody else's because in the end no matter how strongly you believe something you don't really know. I don't really know. I follow my heart just like everybody else. Aaron is Protestant, and knew I was Wiccan when we met. He knows I'm a good person and doesn't try to change me. He believes that whether or not someone is a good person is (or should be) more important than religion. When the issue of mortality arises he does get nervous and I know he and my mother (among others) pray for my soul. That's their right; it doesn't offend me.

Yeah, anyway, I could go on for hours, but I don't really see the need. Here in America too many people think that religion is a public event and that everyone's path should converge with their own. We're supposed to have laws against that so I don't really understand why 'gay' marriage is still illegal when the only argument is Bible-based and it's a civil rights issue. You worry about your (and your family's) soul, let everybody else worry about their own. THAT is what the founding fathers had in mind when they created our government. They may have been Christian (at least most of them), but they weren't founding a Christian nation. They were founding a FREE nation. Where we are each free to follow our own God(s) and no one groups spiritual leanings would affect the law. That's my two cents.

Tomorrow's prompt:
A time when you thought about ending your own life

Just one?.....

8 comments:

  1. You are right that it doesn't really matter what the other person's religion is, as long as they are a good person it's all good. I think it applies to friends and acquaintances but I can't imagine being in a serious relationship with a religious person because whether or not a person believes in god is also tied to a lot of traits like how superstitious, how easily persuaded they are. It may be a huge prejudice but I think being religious involves a whole other set of traits that determines compatibility as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right, it's something that's always there. There are some people who are only vaguely religious, saying they are something just because their parents were, but they don't really believe or follow it. Still, that label itself can be a hard thing to shake (which I think is very superstitious) so it might not be worth the trouble. I think a lot more people are turning up as non-religious, though, so you've definitely got a good shot at finding someone you're compatible with. :)

      Delete
  2. I have my own views on religion and find Wicca a beautiful expression of the Divine. far too many people ( still ) take the bible literally and that is terrifying. Wicca allows for you to accept the good the bad and the ugly of yourself and still be beautiful and in control. Lovely post xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I totally agree. It saddens me when people dig through it just to support outdated arguments when it suits them, but... everything has it's time and nothing lasts forever.

      Delete
  3. *stands up and claps* Agree 100% with everything you said especially in paragraph 2 And this

    "Here in America too many people think that religion is a public event and that everyone's path should converge with their own. We're supposed to have laws against that so I don't really understand why 'gay' marriage is still illegal when the only argument is Bible-based and it's a civil rights issue."

    yes. Yes. YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! hehehehe Always helps to know it's not just me. We're all surrounded by crazy people. o_O lol

      Delete
  4. I love to study about other "religions". Like when Sister Wives first aired, I studied everything I could get my hands on about why they believe the way they do. I find it fascinating about how others believe. Way to go for finding your beliefs. And that you and your husband have a mutual respect about each other's beliefs is awesome. I don't know enough about Wicca except the stigmas that I have heard. I will definitely be studying on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard to find good information, but I'm sure since you've researched before you can separate what's real from what isn't. ;) And if you have any questions you're welcome to email me.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!