Monday, June 3, 2013

Blog In June: Day 3

Today's prompt:
Your views on drugs and alcohol

I'm not gonna lie. I did my fair share of partying after graduation, and randomly afterwards. It's not something I make a habit of because I don't just indulge. I over-indulge. If I drink, I'm getting drunk. When I got high, I got wasted. So I don't do it. That's not how I want to live my life. That said, I don't care what other people do! Yeah, I think pot should be legalized, regulated and taxed. From a sober-person standpoint, it's no worse than alcohol and I don't see what the big deal is. The same laws should/would apply. Don't smoke and drive, don't go to work high, etc etc etc. Hell, don't want to enable potheads (like alcoholics are so easily enabled) then ration it! In Germany during Desert Shield/Desert Storm we had gas, coffee, cigarettes and sugar rationed. Sure people didn't like it, but that's because it was out of the norm. Ration it from the get-go. Sure you'll have people selling their rations, but people sell their food stamps, too. Do the same thing with cocaine and cut out a big chunk of drug cartel violence. You know why Japan can sell beer in vending machines? Because it's not taboo. You know why they can have nude beaches without issue in Europe? BECAUSE IT'S NOT TABOO! You make something legal and it loses a lot of it's appeal to the rebellious youngsters. It's not rocket science and I seriously do not understand why people just don't get it. Alcohol and prescription pills are abused all the time and yet a plant that requires little refining and can actually help people with multiple conditions without insane side-effects (have you ever listened to a prescription commercial? it's insane!) is condemned as a devil weed.

That being said, I do not like getting on facebook and reading about how wasted people are getting or are going to get regardless of their vice. Why is it okay to announce that? Just because alcohol is legal... "I need a drink" "I'm gonna get wasted this weekend" "So drunk blah blah blah" Really?! Like, nearly everybody I know has said at least once "I need a drink". Why? That is never my first thought. I really am not trying to sound snotty or like I think I'm better than anybody, but I just never think to myself "this would be better with alcohol" or "getting buzzed will help this problem". I guess it's kind of a self-defense thing since I know how hard I like to party, but even if/when I do/did I never felt like it was okay to announce it to the world! I mean, I know a lot of it is jealousy because I have to face reality like a big girl, but... it just doesn't seem like obscuring your perspective (even if you're just unwinding for the weekend after a long, hard week) is something to be proud of. It's everybody's right to do wtfever they wanna do, I'm nobody's mother, I just don't understand this compulsion to announce it like you just won an award. Like sex, I think rumblings of this kind of indulgence should be kept to a dull roar. "Need to know", ya know? What do you think? Am I too uptight on this one?

Tomorrow's prompt:
Your views on religion

Oh deary me, I hope tomorrow doesn't get awkward....

14 comments:

  1. Nope not uptight, just not willing to tune into the '(insert name here) show' which is what loads of people do with social networking.

    Agree with your opinion on drugs 100%. Legalize it! I think lots of things should be legalized that prob won't, though.

    Also meant to say before 700 polishes! o_O! Do you find you re-use many of them or are you so busy with wearing the new ones the older ones don't often get used? (that's what's happening to me. Want to wear the poor untrides but my older polishes are like 'what about meee?' lol)

    Also LOVE that your has pics listed of the polishes instead of just the name listed. Oh yes I've visited the list a few times and drooled ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, personally I'd be okay with legalized prostitution, too. Regulate it like any other industry, except with more health screenings. :p I hear it is legal in Canada (or, at least parts of Canada) and I think that's great.

      At the moment I'm trying to wear each of my untrieds. Once that's done I'll go back and re-wear some favorites or ones I think need better pictures. Glad you like my stash page! :D It's hard to keep up with it sometimes, but at least it's not all just for me. lol

      Delete
    2. I don't know of any provinces where weed is legal but that doesn't mean there aren't any! I think it's illegal in BC but the cops are super lax about it so people just smoke whenever/wherever.

      Hehe I bet trying to wear all your untrieds first feels like trying to walk the wrong way on an escalator hoping to get somewhere ;) Polish companies just put out sooo many cool/new/interesting polishes it's impossible not to buy more :D

      Delete
    3. lol I meant prostitution. I got curious a couple years ago and googled it. lol Also, we saw a documentary that said weed is legal in... Vancouver? I believe.

      hehehe It is kind of like that. Especially appropriate since I just got Fiona in the mail. XD I'm steadily working through them, though. Less than 20 untrieds left!

      Delete
    4. OH! hahaha. Canada is very weird. Exchanging money for sex is legal but most of the activities that surround prostitution are illegal. I was curious so I looked it up, the wiki is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Canada

      Too bad too, I think things would be much better for the workers if it were just straight up legal (all aspects of it that is!).

      Interesting regarding weed - my brother lives in Vancouver. He says it's more of a grey area. Not 'legal' per say but the cops don't care / don't enforce it.

      WOW less than 20 untrides! You're a polish powerhouse :D I just discovered Julep Hayden GAH a retina searing neon peach! Sooo need this. I'll have to see what the next mavern box is like...I'm too cheap to straight up part with my $10 or so for 7 mls of polish (too expensive IMHO!)

      Delete
    5. Huh, definitely some weird/interesting laws. And law enforcement. lol I guess if it's not a big problem then they're doing something right.

      Did you update your beauty bio? I got a 50% off coupon when I did that. I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a good box this month or not. I skipped the last two. :p I'm just glad it's an option.

      Delete
    6. o_O! NO! OOOHHHHH I'm gonna do that asap thanks again Lizzie! WOW 50% off I'm there! I just signed up a month ago and already skipped my first box (hehe I feel so bad). But at 20 bucks shoot I want polishes that make my eyes pop out of my head. I know you get a few things but still... I wish they let people choose what polishes they wanted in their boxes.

      Delete
    7. Yeah, it's kind of hit and miss a lot of times. Like when they did the neons they had one neon and one neutral. -_- If I want a neutral polish I'll grab one of the essence Nudes for $2. :p OMG when you get Hayden you have to send me a pic! :D

      Delete
  2. wohoo, you pretty much wrote what I did, but with way more heart and arguments
    "You make something legal and it loses a lot of it's appeal to the rebellious youngsters."
    that goes in my virtual quote book lol, so well said, oh except for the it's vs its (now I'm just being a grammar nazi haha)

    oh yea i think tomorrow's is gonna be hard, I'll ease back a bit so I don't offend anyone :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Caught by the grammar nazi! LOL I totally missed that. Usually I try to keep a close eye on things like that. Same with they're, their and there. Totally spaced this morning. Nice catch.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your post and agree that taboo items hold a greater thrill for youngsters. Thank you for your honesty. I cant get over the different responses to this prompt. Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. :) I try to be as honest as I am able, hoping that it will be somehow helpful to someone. If nothing else my life and experiences tend to make a good story for some people. I don't mind that. lol

      Delete
  4. Totally agree about the appeal of the forbidden. I drank beer when I was younger (way less than drinking age). But my mom just kept it in a controlled environment. She said that kids were going to do it anyway so make it a safe environment. I didn't turn into a raging alcoholic. I also didn't drink that much. The allure was gone because "mom said it was okay".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's great that it worked. I've seen that method go awry, but more so with marijuana than alcohol. *shrugs* I guess it depends on the kid and what kinds of friends they have.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!