Monday, June 24, 2013

Blog In June: Day 24

Today's prompt:
Your favorite movie and what it's about

*deep breath* There are a lot of movies that I like, but only one that has held a special place in my heart for... oh geez... well over 20 years. Gather 'round, cuz it's time for a story.

When I was about 9 years old my parents caught me one night on my way to the bathroom. "C'mere, you've got to see this movie". Oh wtf, are you serious? I was tired and in the first 10 minutes I was so bored I just wanted to go to bed. Old people movie, bah! Someone gets married and these people get stuck in the rain and end up at a castle (remember, we lived in Germany so castles weren't a big deal or anything strange at all) and some weirdo answers the door and some people dance and then... Frank shows up. Once Tim Curry threw off that robe and I saw what he was wearing underneath I don't think I blinked for the whole rest of the movie. I was on the edge of my seat and my whole outlook, my whole way of seeing the world was changed that night.

Yes, my number one forever and always favorite movie has to be Rocky Horror Picture Show. It opened up a whole world that I never knew existed. My dad was into British comedy so even a man in women's clothing wasn't all that bizarre, but the way he carried himself and the things that went on in that movie... blew my mind. I watched it every day for two years and continually once a month after. Minimum. Whenever they change the cover or add features I have to have it. I have four copies on VHS, four on DVD (still need to invest in a Blu-Ray copy even though I can't watch it yet) and a digital copy saved on my Hello Kitty USB necklace so I can carry it around with me. There were a lot of things that went completely over my head that I didn't understand until years later (most of the swears and nearly all of the sex stuff), but it stuck it's hooks in me and never let go.

What I did understand, and what I always held dear was the inclusiveness of it. Of course, I knew nothing of the live shows so I didn't fully understand the scope, but the message was clear even to my young mind. Everyone was included and welcome (in some way) in that castle. Everybody was wanted there by somebody. I never really fit in and this movie gave me hope that someday somebody would want me for who I am. That there are people out there having different kinds of fun that maybe you don't see every day. That, simply, being different is not a bad thing. Sure I had been told that, both by my parents and the church, but those things were normal in my life and RHPS was different. It was also one of the very few things that my sisters and I agreed on and continue to agree on today.

As much as I loved this movie I was never the way people are now with Twilight and Potter and stuff. I drew Frank's castle for an art project and I continued to watch it, but I guess I instinctively knew it wasn't for everybody. So when Aaron found out that it was my favorite movie and showed up at the Cafe dressed as Frank under his trenchcoat... I was floored. He got into it a bit later than I did, but he still knew all of the songs and we've watched it together numerous times. He may not be as obsessed as I am, but he knows it, he gets it, and he appreciates it. Loving RHPS isn't a requirement, but it's probably the quickest way to shoot through my defenses. It makes me so giddy to unexpectedly find another fan.

Oh, what it's about? Geez... If I were to completely reduce it to it's basest plot I guess I'd say it's about an average couple who stumble upon a house run by aliens and have their world turned upside-down for the night. But, really, it's so much more than that.

Tomorrow's prompt:
Someone who fascinates you and why

Well... I guess I should start thinking about that now.

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I could have guessed that it was your favorite!
    I always kind of want to see it but it looks like it could be scary in some parts and I am like the biggest wuss ever....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really scary. A few people do die, but only one of them is bloody.

      Delete
  2. Awww, that's a brilliant story! I didn't actually see it until I was about 19, I'd managed to miss it every time it was on telly and I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It's an amazing movie, I can see how much you love it from your writing about it, that's kinda how I am about Buffy (is that sad?!) - Anthony Stewart Head tweeted me like two words once and I almost died. Literal palpitations. Totally get your love for it! Do you know that there was a line of RHPS nail polish? It was made by a UK company called Spectacular in the 90s, I managed to track one down on eBay a while back but they pop up again every now & then on it. They're just glitters, but y'know. Fangirling = fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I did not know there were RHPS polishes! :D I'm glad you got to finally see it. lol I don't think that's sad. Anthony Steward Head is pretty freakin' awesome himself, as he did Frank for the stage show for a while after Tim Curry. hehehehe He also showed up for the 25th anniversary. I missed it, but I found some clips online. That's so exciting he tweeted you!!

      Delete
  3. The good old Rocky Horror and Anthony Steward Head is multi talented. I would freak if he tweeted me too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! Did you see him in Repo: The Genetic Opera? SCARY!

      Delete
  4. Recently I can't remember when i saw a movie that I really liked. Most do have great special effects but the story is poor. Horror movie I never forgot was phenomenon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are few movies lately that I really enjoy. I think I'm more of a television person.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!