Saturday, May 4, 2013

Blog In May: Day 4

Today's prompt:
Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc) and why you love it

There was probably a hundred different ways I could have gone with this, but I decided to follow my heart.

"I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"
~Rodney King

I was going to use the song Imagine by John Lennon, but I think this works better as far as an actual quote. This was Rodney King's response to the riots that began as a result of his attackers being acquitted of police brutality charges. Watching the video you get a real sense for his sincerity. Even decades later while on Celebrity Rehab while discussing what happened you could tell he was deeply upset and troubled by the atrocities committed against innocent people. He couldn't help but feel that he was partially responsible, even though it was something he never asked for. That is what makes this quote so striking for me. Not just the words, but the sincerity and emotion behind them.

I've been called naive, diluted, childish and wildly unrealistic for my views on how I believe the world should be. How I want the world to be. How I wish like hell the world was. Maybe so. Hey, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." No matter how nasty, spiteful, selfish or demeaning anybody else may be, I don't have to be that way. You'll never see me go against my beliefs just to get ahead in "this world". I don't believe it's necessary, and I'm going to prove that with my actions. If we could all just learn to get along a little better with those around us, the world would be a far better place for us all.

Tomorrow's prompt:
Publicly profess your love and devotion for one of your blogger friends.

LOL I'll give you a hint right now: there's gonna be three. What can I say? As the oldest of three kids, I can't pick a favorite. It just wouldn't be right. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Good quote, I often too wonder like why people have to be so hateful sometimes, like why can't we just be happy with what we have and share things that have been bestowed upon us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I knew. I mean, we're all in this together! May as well make the best of it. Some people are just more self-centered, I guess...

      Delete

I love hearing from you!