Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blog In May: Day 2

Today's prompt:
Educate us on something you know alot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

I'm generally funny and sarcastic, so I figured I'd do this one a bit more seriously. My chosen topic? Dream work. First, some background: When I was 8 years old (give or take) I had a horrendous nightmare. The kind where you open your eyes and can still see it and when you try to scream nothing comes out. I was scared. Then I was pissed and swore that no dream would ever get me like that again. Shortly after I started becoming much more aware of my dreams, recurring dreams, and things I could do in dreams.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people say "I don't dream". Everybody dreams. Unless you don't sleep at all or have some condition that prevents your body from entering REM state: You Dream. Just that not all of us are naturally adept at remembering them when we wake. The good news is that if you want to remember your dreams, you can! It's super easy and, yes, anybody can do it. All you need is a desire to remember them and a small notebook... and something to write with. lol

Conditioning yourself for regular dream recall begins the night before. Not everybody's lifestyle lends itself to a "bedtime ritual", so I'll keep it simple. As you're laying down to sleep just repeat to yourself "I will be aware of my dreams. I will remember my dreams when I wake up." Or something along those lines. Oh, and you have to mean it. That's kinda where the "desire" part comes in. Just affirm that to yourself until you're pretty sure you've got it or until you fall asleep. Then, sleep.

The next part is actually the most important part. It's the one that will help you track your progress and get the whole of your brain with the program. As soon as you wake up the very first thing you want to do is grab your notebook (the closer you can keep it to you the better) and write down anything you remember. Anything at all. Some of my earliest dream recordings consist of "I felt excited" or "I remember blue" or "There was water". Every and any teensy little thing. If you really can't remember anything at all, that's okay. Just write down the date and write "nothing yet". Repeat this process over and over and before you know it you'll have pages and pages for just one dream. Like this one. Wow... been a while since I've recorded one. Think I'll be getting a fresh notebook tomorrow...

Anywho, that's the basics for getting started. Once you find yourself in the habit of remembering all (or most) of your dreams in-depth like that, it's a very natural progression to actually finding yourself aware while you dream. Taking control of your dreams is a whole other field of practice that I'm still trying to get a handle on. I can shoot fireballs out of my hands and fly if I need to, and I've gone from that frustrating molasses-running to actually being able to run. If I need to. I don't get to just fart around however I want in my dreams, but that's not really my... dream mission? I prefer to see where my subconscious/spirit is leading me. What is meant to happen? What am I supposed to see? Is there a message for me in this dream?

Which brings me to my last bit of helpful information. Sometimes in the course of your dream working you'll wake with a feeling of urgency. Like there was something important in there, but you're not sure what it is. Or, perhaps, you're just curious about what that random snake in the corner could mean. You don't have to go out and buy a $50 dream dictionary when dreammoods.com has, in my experience, the best, most extensive dream dictionary online 100% totally for free. There is a bit of a disclaimer, though. Resources like this are perfect if you don't have any emotional attachment to the symbol you're looking up, but an example I encountered in high school psychology summed dream symbols up perfectly: A cat in a dream will mean different things to a person who loves cats and a person who was attacked by one. Go with your gut. If you normally hate snakes, but find yourself carrying one unafraid in your dream; that's important. If you normally hate snakes and hate one in your dream; not as important.

That's about it. :) If you're interested I also have this post on people you meet in dreams and this one on dream landmarks. If you're of the more "crafty" persuasion, here's how to make a Dream Key.

As always, if you have any questions go ahead and ask! We have an open-door policy here at Lizzy's Place and if I can help then I want to! lol

Tomorrow's prompt:
Things that make you uncomfortable

That could get kinda long, too... lol

4 comments:

  1. Wow you are pretty serious about your dreams girl!
    I sometimes have the ability to control my dreams and end a nightmare when I want to, sometimes when I wake from a dream that is too good (I am an awesome international spy with superpowers), I can usually force myself back to sleep, continuing on with the same dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You're lucky!! Not many people can continue a dream they've woken up from. Including me. lol That's really cool! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is fascinating . I have had a recurring dream about an octagon house that I have had since I was a kid. I have it once every few years. I also have those deja vu dreams. I am definitely going to try some of this to remember more of my dreams. I also can't stand it when people say they don't dream. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting. A house generally represents your own soul/self and an octagon (unless it's a stop sign) is a spiritual reawakening. Do you recall having these dreams at significant times in your life?

      Delete

I love hearing from you!