Friday, May 10, 2013

Blog In May: Day 10

Today's prompt:
Most embarrassing moment(s)/spill

Let me take you back to a time before... well... much of anything. It was 5th grade, I had one girl friend (I think her name was Tammy?) and most of my time was spent reading or studying. When we weren't out exploring Germany, as I mentioned previously. Now, I was never very athletic (unless mental acrobatics count), but when the school announced we'd be taking a week long trip to Garmisch to learn how to ski... I was pretty psyched. Now, it wasn't a vacation, we still had to do school work; and the months leading up to the trip were grueling! We all had to get in shape, especially our legs, in preparation for the slopes. Gym class was entirely dedicated to endurance and lower-body work. Still, I was psyched and worked harder than I ever had before... unless you count when we all learned square dancing... yeah, I'm a nerd. :p Anyway, we took a double decker bus up into the mountains. My friend (I'm just going to call her Tammy, I'm 95% sure that was her name) and I weren't popular enough to sit up top, but at least we had each other. And since it was just the two of us and we could be trusted together, we got a room together! Along with two other girls who didn't have any friends...



Now, I don't know if it's different here, but over there we had two different kinds of lifts up the mountain. A rope lift that you just grab onto, and a dangling t-lift that you sit on. Tammy and I were petrified of the t-lift so even when we all graduated higher up the mountain... we took the rope and 'walked' the rest of the way up. You'd think that would be the most embarrassing part, but oh no. At least we had each other, and being a big ol' baby is easier with a friend.



After a week's worth of twice daily lessons I was actually getting pretty good. Hey! I like to ski! :D Will wonders never cease. I mean, I wasn't great or anything, but I could make my way around the flags from the top to the bottom without stopping or falling and those of you who've come to know how spazzy I am... that was quite an accomplishment. Until... *sigh* Until the last day. The last day we had a timed 'race' down the mountain. One at a time. Oh, did I mentioned this was being video-taped for posterity? I'm up at the top of the mountain (bunny slope, whatever) waiting my turn, feeling pretty good about myself. Finally it's my turn. I start off really good. Certainly not the fastest, but respectable... until... wouldn't you know all those kids in front of me managed to completely melt the snow around one of the flags? I remember quite clearly. About 2/3 down the slope, would be on the left if you were looking up from the bottom. I hit that slick patch with a vengeance! Right on my ass. Oh, as if that weren't bad enough (let's not forget the race was being videotaped here) I couldn't get back up!! *facepalm* Of course the longer it took to regain my footing, the more frustrated and flustered I got and the longer it took. Even worse (oh yes, it gets worse) I mentioned I wasn't exactly popular, so that spill was the only footage they had of me so it had to make it into the final cut. *SIGH* My parents bought the video (of course they did), though I don't know if we still have it. I imagine at least one copy survived somewhere. Proof that when it really counts you can bet I will spazz like there's no tomorrow.

So, yep. That's my most embarrassing spill. It takes the award because it was videotaped for all the world to see and remember. Also because it kind of set a precedent for me. Sure enough once I'm feeling good about something... disaster. Ah well. I did finish my run after I finally managed to get my ass back over my feet where it belongs. While I was digging out my instructor stub-book I thought you might like to see one of my birth certificates. (yeah, I have two; both in German and English so I can only assume one was civilian and one military?)



Ich war eine Mädchen and they didn't even have the "ä" key on their typewriter. :p

Tomorrow's prompt:
Sell yourself in 10 words or less

Bloody hell.....

8 comments:

  1. I know it must be different in your head, but honestly, that doesn't sound that bad! It's always worse for the one it happens to, right?
    I had no idea you had lived in Germany. So you speak German? Want to practice with me? :p

    Cool btw how your rents got married one day after I was born (19th of August 77).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool! :D It probably wasn't *that* bad, and at least I can kind of laugh about it now. Ich spreche nur ein wenig Deutsch, but more practice is never a bad thing. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh lol it just had to be video taped didn't it!
    Well at least you learnt how to ski properly. I have been on a few ski trips with my class before too, but I was always sort of the slow learner so the instructor kinda of just ignored me the whole time. I can do cross country but that is all I am comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it did! LOL That's really messed up. The slow person is supposed to be the one getting the attention. >_< If we ever go skiing together I'll help ya out. ;) It's not really that difficult... on the bunny slope at least. If the snow isn't melted... :p

      Delete
  3. Hehehe!! We have that in common. I am not athletic at all. My friend (who is German - an ironic mini connection in keeping with your story since you were in Germany when this happened) insisted I go skiing. I hadn't been since I was 12 but whatevz. Onto the bunny slope we went. Only they got bored soon and wanted to go to the big slope. I stayed on the bunny slope by myself and half way down on my run by myself I fell. Fine enough only I could NOT get back up! There I was rolling around on the hill for what felt like 15 minutes (was prob more like 5) and (I kid you not)people were skiing AROUND me and two of them were kids who looked like they were younger than 10 *dies*. Um yeah. After I finally got back up I coasted the rest of the way to the bottom and went to the chalet. That was enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes!! It sucks, right? I can't believe nobody stopped to help! On the bunny slope!! They couldn't have been going that fast. >_<

      Delete
  4. Kudos for being able to ski...even if you had an epic fall. My one attempt at skiing left me so frustrated I took my skis off and walked down the rest of the bunny slope (while being passed by the same group of 7 year olds for the 3rd time!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes! You, Jasmine, Norma and me should go skiing sometime. Nice and slow. It really is a lot of fun even going slow. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!