Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hard Candy: Crush On Lava & Beetle Comparison (*pssst* They're not the same)

LMAO Sorry, totally couldn't stop myself from adding that. Normally I sit and read everyone else's blog before posting my own, but today I'm just too excited to get this information out there. First, though, Crush On Lava gets her own spotlight swatch. This is three coats because I didn't want to alter the colors any.



Okay, I do like these foily polishes... mostly. Sometimes, especially in high humidity, they take forever to dry! So, yes, quick-dry topcoat and speedy drops were used. Still, Crush On Lava is a really pretty red-orange duochrome. You get a bit of purple and gold, but the best feature is that you can frequently get the duochrome effect to show up without looking like a total spaz torqueing your hand around. ;)



Now, the moment we've all be waiting on the edge of our seats for. I know I've had some comparisons where you may not have seen the same differences that I have. I can be quite persnickity when it comes to rationalizing owning two (near) identical polishes. lol However, this time I'm fairly certain that you will also see what I see. The images aren't 100% in focus, but that's because I had to take these indoors and, in some cases, without flash just to be sure I was showing you what I was seeing. Because this is important! Is Crush On Lava a repackaged Beetle? Well, the bottle shot says "no" right off the bat.



Beetle is more purple while Crush On Lava is more red. "But Lizzy! The bottle shapes are different! It could just be an optical illusion!" I know! LOL That's why I went ahead with the swatching. ;) *ahem* Again, this is three coats of each color, alternating nails. Labelled for your convenience.



See? Beetle is purple; Crush On Lava is red. Beetle even gives off some green in that top portion while CoL never does. If that's not compelling enough, I finally managed to capture (with my phone; thank you phone!) the "yellowish" angle.



Beetle goes full-on gold while CoL goes a fiery orange.

So, they're kinda similar, but definitely not the same polish. I'm actually really proud of Hard Candy on this one. Beetle feels more like a multi-color beetle shell while Crush On Lava stays in a hot/red/lava range. I'm sure some people might cry over this (I like Beetle, but I'm not that in love with it LOL), but hey! Space Cadet is still a lot closer for you. Not an exact dupe, but definitely closer than CoL. I hope this comparison was educational and as fun for you as it was for me. Also, Hard Candy mentioned on their facebook page that their products are available in Canada? Their site says they only sell in Walmart, but perhaps they meant their site will ship to Canada... *shrugs* I don't know if there are Walmarts in Canada, though I would like to visit one day and find out. :)

So there you have it. My Sims game has gotten infuriatingly laggy recently so those two are still alive. I did manage to find all of the pieces to my costume, just have to hem up the skirt a bit. Super-hero chicks don't generally look marmish. :p Hope everyone's having a terrific week, and happy polishing!

6 comments:

  1. Haha I can't tell the difference, maybe it's more obvious in person
    There are Walmarts in Canada, and come to think of it, we may have Hardcandy in Walmart.... I just never go to Walmart (Costco all the way!)... I will now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Maybe it's monitor settings. It is a bit more obvious in real life than came across in the pics. hehehe We don't have a Costco here, good luck venturing to Walmart! I hope it's worth the trip for you. :)

      Delete
  2. I think my eyes super suck ...or maybe I'm just tired because I can't really see a difference. :( maybe it will be more obvious to my shitty eyes in real life lol. Glad to hear they are different though, I love foily duochromes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You, too? So weird! It's most obvious in the very top comparison where you can see the green in Beetle. Also in real life where you can see the gold in Beetle next to the orange in Crush on Lava.

      Delete
  3. Yup! We have Walmart in Canada and they carry the Hard Candy line. We didn't have the now-discontinued nail polish but our Walmarts plan to carry the new ones. The new polishes are already in some Canadian Walmarts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D That's great. I always feel so bad swatching pretties that not everybody can get. lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you!