Thursday, December 29, 2011

Another Day In Austin


Try as I might I couldn't find a blog referencing Aaron, Brak and my first trip to Austin together (though that link will take you to the pictures), or the trip Aaron and I took the first time we visited the Museum of the Weird... that is strange, but nevertheless the show will go on. With many, many pictures for your enjoyment.

Our first stop was The Wheatsville Co-Op on Guadelupe St. We went there on our first trip and enjoyed it so much that it's becoming a regular stop. Their food is amazing. Last time Brak got a sandwich and Aaron and I got drinks. This time we all got sandwiches!




Why Aaron hates his name



I got The Italian with everything:




So big!



Aaron got The Italian Stallion:




Hey, yo



And Brak got a chicken salad on special bread:




Tasty!



From there we drove to 6th street and found ourselves a nice, central place to park. Fed some quarters into the fancy meter, got our parking sticker, then began our walk to The Museum of the Weird. On the way there we passed the Shamrock Saloon.




It's a Monument



I know I've spent a decent chunk of change these past two days (Brak and I spent a fair amount of time clothes shopping yesterday), but this time I absolutely had to get a t-shirt. My determination was rewarded with this funky floral bag!




The shirt is in the bag



Then we took Brak on her maiden voyage through the museum itself. Aaron and I scoped the place out before (where's the blog?!), but this was her first trip and they had some new stuff and the guy at the register said we could take as many pictures as we wanted "so snap away guys"! Awesome! Now I will let the many many pictures speak for themselves.




Electric fortune teller was looking right at Brak!




Aaron next to a suit of armor




It's a Fiji Mermaid!




Lizzy Says: "Jackelopes are REAL! See?"




Fish with a man's face




Fur covered trout




Voodoo Statue




Aaron and his "Mummy"




Shrunken Heads




Puppetmaster puppet and.... fish




Cyclops Skull




It's the Hand of Glory!! Grab it!




Devilfish




Chinese foot binding shoes




Flesh-eating toad




Don't open what?




Sorry, shoulda used the flash




Dreamcatcher: Now with scalp!




Bigfoot's real, too




Here's his footprints




Stuff pulled out of cow's stomachs-




-with a magnet so they don't get sick




Conjoined pig fetus in jar




2-headed cow and sheep(or goat)




2-headed chicken




Two cows share a head




Tiny mummy in a box




3000 year old mummy




with his paperwork




Phantom




Dracula




movie poster




Frankenstein's Monster




from Tales From The Darkside




Hunchback




skeleton prop




Some info on Yeti




Yeti footprint




Female monitor lizard-




-helped create their "giant lizard eggs" exhibit




another lizard on display



After that trek (the lizards were new) the man who introduced us to the lizards took us into yet another room with a few more displays.




Brak got nabbed by King Kong!!




And she's so mad about it!




Aaron's "my wife made me do this" face
now with more mummy



Then this guy (who's name completely escapes me, sorry) regaled us with a good, old-fashioned sideshow!




Snapped his fingers in a racoon trap. Aaron makes sure it's really on there




Hammered a nail up his nose.... then licked it!




Dangling dead fish from his eyes - With fishhooks!




Finished with a nice sword swallow



That was pretty awesome. He even dangled those fish long enough for Brak to dig out her camera and get a picture of her own. After that we headed back down to the gift shop where Aaron chatted up the employees and Brak picked out a shirt for herself and a stuffed rattlesnake (with a rattle in the tail!) for her daughter.

After that we decided that the Arthouse Museum was close enough to walk to and set back off through Austin's downtown. On the way we passed the bat bar. Aaron liked the sign so I got a picture of that.




Bat Bar



We also passed this cool looking car.




Snazzy



Then we made it to Arthouse. My favorite (free) pretentious art museum. We went the first time with Brak, but all of the exhibits were different. I don't think they were as good this time, but it was still a nice stop. Also, they only had one pamphlet this time.




The Anxiety of Photography



We did get a little lost on our way back, but managed to find the car after a couple extra turns. All in all I had a fantastic time. I love Austin, I love Brak, I love Aaron, I love museums and I love getting out to do stuff from time to time. And I got to wear my snazzy new outfit that Brak helped me pick out. I love the pants, love the shirt and the shoes! Oh the shoes are so comfortable. It was a beautiful day weather-wise. Simply great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!