Friday, October 28, 2011

Digital Wonderland #16

Why did I ever want to join the medical profession? Why?! I mean, it was fortunate timing with the hospital being so understaffed, and the money's been great, but.... I never signed up for any of this! What's this? Well, there seems to have been a bit of a turnaround in hospital management. I'm not really clear on the details, but the new administrator called me into her office and explained that the old regime had some shady dealings with some seedy characters and asked if I could do something about severing these ties. ME?! Fine. Stricken with fear over losing my job I agreed and sought out this fellow.



He actually wasn't as intimidating as I expected and, in fact, wanted to help. At least, I think he wanted to help. He said that he'd forgive the hospital's remaining debts with no backlash from Oasis' criminal underbelly if I could convince the police captain to halt her investigation into a certain missing llama shipment. What have I gotten myself into? Time to track down the police captain.



As it turns out, my luck held. When I finally tracked her down she was mumbling to herself about how this whole missing llama investigation was going nowhere. I introduced myself and playing the role of "concerned citizen" convinced her to give up the investigation and concentrate the manpower elsewhere. An idea she was delighted with now that she could claim she was responding to public opinion rather than outright failure. I guess the crime syndicate had nothing to fear after all.... oh well, works out for me. I got a nice raise out of the deal, too.

Puzzle seems to be doing ok. She's awfully quiet, but then she was around for years without making a peep.... heh. She got a part time job at the day spa down the street and spends a few hours each day painting. Even got offered a couple thousand simoleons for an original piece by one of Oasis' local celebrities.



Apparently she has my luck. While she was doing laundry she ran into one of those creepy bear laundry gnomes. Now we have two... They seem to be fascinated by the other gnome's shenanigans.



After several unsuccessful attempts to get through she finally managed to get ahold of April. It was a short conversation and I don't think it went very well.



I'm not really sure how to deal with a heartbroken sim. I feel bad for Puzzle and, in some ways, a bit responsible. Since April is my daughter, after all. So I started teaching Puzzle how to cook. She's a fantastic gardener and it will give her something constructive to do with the fruits of her labors. She was a bit surprised, at first, when I told her she could do those things the sims on tv do. I think she's warming to the idea, though.



Now, a few days after her abrupt conversation with Puzzle, April got in touch with Shen. Needing a favor. Apparently her laptop came up broken and she wanted it fixed and can you believe she didn't even come over or have him deliver it to her house? No. She had him bring it to her at Hogan's Deep Sea Diner off the beach. I suppose I can't be too upset with her. She wasn't as clipped with her father as she was with her girlfriend and he was sensitive enough to recount the details while Puzzle was at work so as not to upset her further.



And as it turns out, it was good that he got to see his daughter. The next day the grim reaper came and took him from us. Poor Shen!!! Died alone at home while Puzzle and I were at work. Alone. At home. I wish I could have been there for him.



I have no idea what I'm going to do now. I miss him terribly. I know he'd been unwell for a while, but it's still kind of a shock, ya know? I don't know how long I stood there crying, but it was a long time. Wednesday is my day off and I... I think I'm going to have to move. I can't imagine staying in this house that he picked out for us. I need sleep. I'll talk to Puzzle in the mornin and we'll decide what to do then. I'm so glad she's decided to stay. I don't know if I could do this on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!