Thursday, August 18, 2011

Interesting Deaths

Yes, today is supposed to be day 3 of the Green Smoothie Detox, so I guess I'll share my blends before getting into the rest. #1: Kale, apricots and strawberries. #2: Kale, turnip greens, plum and banana. They were good. Happy? I tried eating a burger super slow and it still hurts so I'm going to have to be more careful come Saturday. Definitely making it through these next two days without cheating. Even picked up some plain sunflower seeds which Brak says are ok so I don't miss chewing so much.

So, this morning I went out to Belton and took my ma-in-law out to the DMV to get her license. All by myself. :D Anyway, even at 8:30 on a Wednesday morning the place was packed and it took us an hour to get through. Up on the wall they had three boards framed up with photos of officers and such that had "given their lives to protect the safety and freedom of all Texans". It was as sad as it was interesting, but since it dated back all the way to the 1930s there really weren't as many people up as I would have expected. So that's a good thing, right?

What was so interesting about it? Not much at first glance. The first few were mostly motorcycle accidents, followed by a smattering of traffic and traffic-train collisions, then about the late 50s began an increase in shooting deaths. There were, however, three that stood out. Those are the ones I will share with you.

First was back in the 30's a young patrolman was struck by lightening while patrolling on his motorcycle. What are the odds? The next was, I believe, in the 50s. A firearms safety instructor was accidentally shot during a training demonstration. Then in the 60s was one I had to read twice to believe. There was a pair of men, partners. They had a car pulled over. The junior partner (the one who had been serving a few years fewer than his partner) got struck and killed by a car and the senior partner had a heart attack after witnessing the event and died that day. He didn't look that old, but they didn't have birth dates under the pictures. Just the date they entered the service and when they died.

There were a couple of other odd instances. Two guys (unrelated; one was a polygraph tech and I forget what the other did) were both killed while en route to suspect identification. In the 30s and 40s were about five or six collisions with trains, before they made those safety train-crossing bars mandatory. Most disturbing was how many officers were shot during routine traffic stops and while addressing domestic disturbances. One fellow was shot and killed while trying to rescue a hostage.

Yeah, leave it to Lizzy to turn a trip to the DMV into an educational experience. I'm not generally a big history nut, but this touched me. Especially in those early years there were a handful of people who had only been serving a couple of years. One poor young fellow was shot two months after joining the Highway Patrol. I'm glad that they're not forgotten, and as always it's my hope that one day peace will prevail. Poor fellas were just doing their job.

1 comment:

  1. well, if they're going to have you wait all day at least they have something interesting for you to look at. those are some strange deaths... moment of silence for our fallen heroes....

    they have an edutaining timeline up at the santa monica pier, too. you could come for the carnival and stay for the history. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!