Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sim Search #1



Hello Readers. My name is Hardly. Jack Hardly. I'm a detective from the town of Bridgeport sent to Moonlit Shores to investigate the sudden, unexplained disappearance of every single citizen of this little town. I tell ya, Readers, I couldn't believe my ears when the chief told me about this one. Everyone gone? It would appear so. Even the town's god/narrater has gone missing. That's why I've taken over this story.



When I first entered the city limits my gut told me this was going to be no ordinary case. Even in the sleepiest, most backwoods towns you can "feel" that somebody lives there. Here, it doesn't even feel like anybody used to live here. If it weren't for this statue of the town's founding father I'd swear this was a movie set. As it is, I'm not 100% sure it isn't.



I made the public library (conveniently across the street from the park) my first stop. Let's see what we can find in the news archives. Even as far as libraries go this place is quiet enough to be unsettling. The only thing unusual is that the "recent" news stops 2 weeks ago. No reports of an impending evacuation or the beginnings of an epidemic here. I searched around to find an office or archive room and came up empty handed. Could this town really have stood empty for two weeks unnoticed? I intend to find out.



The local police station was only slightly more helpful. Only because it contained an encrypted internet computer I could use to transmit my findings back to Bridgeport. No tipping off the press or any possible perpetrater. Been on the job longer than that. I checked the processing logs which also stopped suddenly two weeks ago. This is starting to give me a headache.



Turns out investigating a ghost town isn't all bad. I can mix my own drinks without watering them down. Think next time I'll try a more manly glass....



*ahem* I'll be honest, I really have no idea where to start looking from here. This is, by far, the damndest thing I have ever seen. And these empty cars just stopped in the middle of the road are becoming more and more unsettling.



Outside of one of the town's central hot spots I ran into this fellow. Darby Barabus, he said his name was. Looking for his cousin who he hadn't heard from in, you guessed it, about two weeks. I flashed my P.I. badge and got his contact information then sent him along his way. This kid barely had two brain cells to rub together. I told him it was best he left town and he would be notified once his cousin was found. Didn't even seem to notice the whole town had gone missing . . . .



Hey, don't you judge me. Don't see you wandering around an empty town trying to figure out what happened to everybody. And besides, if I'm going to confirm this "two weeks" business, there's only one reliable source of information.



*shudders* This part of the job never gets any easier. What did I find? Well, aside from a boat-load of dirty diapers (my luck I pick a house with an infant) the most recent newspaper was indeed dated two weeks ago. So's not to jump to conclusions I checked the rest of the houses on this street as well (no I haven't gotten to the point of breaking and entering just yet) and each can yielded the same information. Most recent paper thrown away was two weeks ago.



Hey! A little privacy!! And for your information this "house" I've settled into has not had a resident in far longer than the two weeks the rest of the town's been empty. Some people think they need to know everything . . . . *grumble*



After a restless night's sleep I headed back to the park. The central point of Moonlit Shores and, in a town this size, the likliest meeting place of rogue townsfolk. I sat in disguise until sundown. Can you see me? Neither did anybody else. I'm getting too old for this shit.



So, Readers, what have we learned so far? Not much, I'm afraid. Worse than Roanoke out here. . . . I'm open to suggestions. Before you ask, no I did not hear the rogue shuffling of zombies or mummies or vampires or any other such silliness in the night. When I tell you everybody has gone missing, I mean everybody. Not even a sim bot in sight. Except that idiot Darby. Why do I have a feeling I'll be near begging for his company before long. . . scary thought indeed.

2 comments:

  1. two brain cells to rub together! ha!

    i'm glad to see he found a manly glass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have a feeling he's going to need all the manly juice he can find.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!