Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Close Call

  Again my faith in road karma has been rewarded.  So I agree to drop my sister off on Ft. Hood for work.  Hey, guess who's getting off work and trying to mass exodus to get home?  Yes, all of Ft. Hood.  This would not have normally been a problem.  I was running low on gas, but didn't figure that would be too big a deal.  Just get home, get the money and get gas.  Not today.  Today I got about 20 minutes into the lock-up and the gas light came on.  20 minutes later I'm almost totally empty.  I was talking so sweet to Betsy (my car) you'd think I was trying to get in her pants.  "Just get me up this hill, baby.  You get me up this hill and I'll put so much gas in you."  Yes, really.  I'm working my way to the on-ramp and someone wants to get in front of me to get to the highway.  "Yes, Mr.  Go ahead and merge.  I need all the road karma I can get."  Then I see it.  7-11 gas station right at the top of the hill.  But oh noes!  I need to get over or I'll be stuck on the highway!  "Please, please someone let me over" and then road karma comes around.  I put on my blinker and the guy right behind and to the left of me is trying to pull into my lane and the guy behind me lets him!  Oh glorious space!  So I merge over and make my way uphill and pull in to the gas station.  Each pump is full, but somehow I manage to pull in behind the person who's just finishing up.  Huzzah!  Now I only have $1.40 in change, but look!  An ATM!  It's not the proper bank, but you know . . . . at this point that's perfectly alright. 
  So, sitting at the pump, ATM in sight, you'd think everything is looking my way, right?  Wrong.  The lady in front of me is trying to cash a check for the first time at the ATM.  Indeed, I need to help her through the process even though I've never done it before either.  The real kicker?  She didn't even get the money.  They wouldn't cash it.  So almost half an hour later my gas is finally paid for and I'm on my way.  Oh, but that wasn't the end of it.  All the road is clear until I pull up to try and turn left to get back to the access road.  Then there's cars cars as far as the eye can see.  Fed up I pull right and find a back way.  Then on to home.  Temporarily.  But at least I didn't run out of gas and the rest of the driving was free flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!